1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First time working out a subwoofer

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by tan1415, Mar 2, 2003.

1. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I have made my first step into buying a Subwoofer.
    I borrowed a subwoofer from a dealer. It's the Visonik sub10. German build. Anyone familiar with it?

I use the LFE channel to connect the subwoofer. All my speakers turned to small.
    Well it was a tremendous experience..really eye opening.
    Can someone tell me if I have setup the sub correctly?
    I use the testtone. And I have been trying to have all 6 speakers(incl sub) on the same level.(hissing tone)?

I saw the 5th element today...and tomorrow I'll be trying out SPR, U571,BHD, LOTR....and to end it all I'll tryout my testDVD. With serious lowlevel sounds on it.
    Any suggestions for music CDs?
    According to the salesman this is a very musical sub. Not sure what that means.

Anyway I noticed that with the sub on...the other speakers doesn't sound as loud. Rather quiet. What's the reason? Have I turned the subwoofer to hard?

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,403
    Oh well you've really gone and done it. There is definately no going back now! :D

This is the setup that seams to be generally recommended as a good starting point on this forum, and is how mine is set!
    And you seem to like the way it sounds, so it can't be far off. :)

Go for music that you know well. You will then be more able to appriciate how much better they sound.
    I think that a musical sub is a sub that can give a cleaner, clearer bass note, rather than just a booming rumble ie. you can hear the individual notes played on a bass guitar and not just feel the floor move during an explosion in a movie. For a better explination ask Uncle Eric or read some of his threads on here.

That is probably because the sub is doing most of the hard work, and the other speakers can just sit back and take it easy.
    The sub should be set so that you can't really hear it, but would notice if it was switched off. Setting the sub up is an art form and something you will be playing with for ages!

Mark.

3. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Do you have your speakers sat as small or large?

If you have your speakers set to large and the subs crossover sat higher than your other speakers play you can have a phase cancelling some sound. F.eks. If your fronts play down to 50hz and the sub is sat to 80hz, and they play in opposite phase, lot of the sound between 50 and 80hz will be cancelled.
    Se my post in this thread on how to setup your sub.

Regards Hans

4. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you'll need four or more Velodyne HGS-18sto do this:)

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    That is near enough the correct definition as a "musical sub" is one that can reproduce bass notes accurately.

An alternative expression is "Decent sub" and one that is "unmusical" is often referred to as a crap sub.

6. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    More the other way around Ian, surely a musical sub is one which doesn't go very low or loud and produces lot's of lovely harmonic distortion so it sounds like a real musical instrument?:D
    A good sub just plays back what's in the original recording.

EDIT: Duh, I can't use these normal keyboards anymore:mad:

7. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been thru SPR and U571...me and I think the neighbours are all kinda deaf by now.

I've played with the phase thing...what should I notice when I do this?

I've set all the speakers to small. The rear and center to 90 hz while the front is set at 60hz.(To high?)

Does this mean that the sub will take over below the 60hz? While the other speakers play everything above?

8. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Adjust the phase to the setting that gives most volume.
    The phase adjusts when the cone moves in and out. It shall move out at the same time as the front speakers, but thats hard to do by eye.

When you have the center and rear speakers cut of at 90hz, all sounds below that will be forwarded to your sub.
    And when you have the front speakers cut of at 60hz, all sounds below that will be forwarded to your sub. It’s as simple as that.

If your front speakers are large this setting might be good. But try to set the crossover at 80hz and listen if that sounds better, it’s the only way to find out what sounds better in your case.