First time surround speaker and AVR buyer

Hi all.

I'm a first time ever buyer of an AV receiver and surround speakers and just now got quite confused with how surround speakers would connect to an AVR. After looking at the back of the speakers I wish to get, the connectors don't look like any I have ever seen before, certainly can't see them on the AVR, at least I can't find them maybe lol. Here is a photo of the back of my AVR I am planning to get, the Denon AVR 2313...

I'm also hearing about banana plugs and cables like that ect. Do I even need an AVR for a surround, am I picking the right surround speakers?

Here is a link to the speakers I'm thinking of buying...http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beng-Channe...LC2Q/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1364843014&sr=8-6

Attachments

• image-2245893839.jpg
    image-2245893839.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
If you pull out the centre plastic bungs of the speaker terminals in your picture then they will accept banana plugs. Otherwise you unscrew the collar and wrap the bare speaker wire around the terminal and then tighten the collar back up. There may be a hole in the metal part exposed by unscrewing the collar which you can push the wire end through if you like. You need to make sure that they strands of wires don't touch adjacent terminals which could short out the amp.

The back of your speakers may have similar terminals or perhaps just a simple device that you push the black or red plastic button down which opens a hole for you to push the bare wire ends into. You then release the button and the terminal grips the end of the wire making a connection. So you may need speaker wires with banana plugs at both ends, one end or just bare wires at both ends depending on which option you chose.

Last edited:
KelvinS1965 said:
If you pull out the centre plastic bungs of the speaker terminals in your picture then they will accept banana plugs. Otherwise you unscrew the collar and wrap the bare speaker wire around the terminal and then tighten the collar back up. There may be a hole in the metal part exposed by unscrewing the collar which you can push the wire end through if you like. You need to make sure that they strands of wires don't touch adjacent terminals which could short out the amp.

The back of your speakers may have similar terminals or perhaps just a simple device that you push the black or red plastic button down which opens a hole for you to push the bare wire ends into. You then release the button and the terminal grips the end of the wire making a connection. So you may need speaker wires with banana plugs at both ends, one end or just bare wires at both ends depending on which option you chose.

Ahhhh! I get it now thanks. I guess when I have everything I'll have to get to grips with wiring maybe, never done that before.

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
I think it's unlikely that you'll find speakers that can't be connected to the amp you show. I had to alter my front speaker connectors when I bought a different Arcam amp, but I could have used bare wires if I had no other choice.

Just take care with those wire strands. :smashin:

EDIT: Just saw the speaker link and it mentions screw terminals which would be similar to the amp ones you show. However, I'm not sure if those speakers are really going to be up to much since they seem to have a lot of drivers for the money: Quality over quantity might be worth thinking about. ;)

Last edited:
KelvinS1965 said:
I think it's unlikely that you'll find speakers that can't be connected to the amp you show. I had to alter my front speaker connectors when I bought a different Arcam amp, but I could have used bare wires if I had no other choice.

Just take care with those wire strands. :smashin:

EDIT: Just saw the speaker link and it mentions screw terminals which would be similar to the amp ones you show. However, I'm not sure if those speakers are really going to be up to much since they seem to have a lot of drivers for the money: Quality over quantity might be worth thinking about. ;)

Thanks for the advice.

technarchy

Hi, please don't buy those speakers! Your choice of amp is great, but speakers,terrible! What is your budget for speakers & I am sure members will give you some good ideas! If its £160 then just a pair of speakers will do just great! New, wharfedale, mission, tannoy, kef, mordaunt short. Second hand add Dali, ruark, monitor audio, rega & acoustic energy into the mix! Whatever you do, you must listen to any speaker with the amp you get! Listen to several & pick your favourite , only your ears can decide!

PSM1

Distinguished Member
As above, I would really look to get different speakers as they are not going to be good quality. If the budget is tight then just get the front pair for now and then buy the other speakers as funds allow. Go for something from more established speaker manufacturer i.e. Wharfedale, Monitor Audio etc. The other option would be to look on the classifieds here or ebay for a used bargain.

Wow really? I'll take that advice strait away then, thanks for letting me know. I can spend £440 max right now for a 5.1. I'll take another look then with those brands in mind.

I've always had my eye on Crystal Acoustics speakers, what do you guys think of that brand? Most of my speakers will be floor standing because unfortunately I can't mount as there is a door in the way.

gingerone

I've not heard of that brand, but have a look on a site like richer sounds, they have some good deals on speaker packages, failing that you can get some real bargains on ebay or the classifieds on here.
All my kit is second hand, you get a lot more for your money that way.

Riyazi

I am no expert and definitely haven't listened to those speakers (nor heard of it) but agree with those above that you will be much better off getting a well known brand like Wharfedales, Monitor Audio, Missions, etc.

I have been upgrading my setup with Wharefedales and you can definitely get a superior setup for your budget:
Diamond 10.1 for fronts - £100 a pair on Clearance at Manchester Stockport
Diamond 10.CC as centre - £50 in the classifieds (inc delivery I think) or if you have the space for it (it's a monster) a Diamond 10.CM going for a song at £120 delivered in the classified
Diamond 9.0 for rears - £50 a pair at Richer Sounds store or online
BK Elec Gemini 2 Subwoofer for £230

However, I believe Wharfedales are not the best matched for a Denon so audition them plus other brands at a RicherSounds or AV store near you

bagatanmd

have a look at these speakers:

EMP Tek 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Package (Black Ash) | eBay

totally unknown in this part of the woods but owned by RBH in USA. bought the bigger set from the same seller who imported it from the states. plenty of review from audioholics and and an active owner's thread at avsforum. very nice sounding speakers and for the price they are selling them, it is worth it.

andrew

bagatanmd said:
have a look at these speakers:

EMP Tek 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Package (Black Ash) | eBay

totally unknown in this part of the woods but owned by RBH in USA. bought the bigger set from the same seller who imported it from the states. plenty of review from audioholics and and an active owner's thread at avsforum. very nice sounding speakers and for the price they are selling them, it is worth it.

andrew

Thanks for the link but I have to make sure that the two front, and two surround speakers are floor standing, simply because I can't mount where my seating position is unfortunately.

Thanks anyway.

bagatanmd

is a speakers stand out of the equation if you are going to use standmount speakers? will give you the same profile as a floorstander.

Soundmangt4

Thanks for the link but I have to make sure that the two front, and two surround speakers are floor standing, simply because I can't mount where my seating position is unfortunately.

Thanks anyway.

Speaker stands? Large floor-standers are usually wasted on rears as they don't usually provide much in the low end stakes.

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
I don't know: When I recently upgraded from some little M&K K4 speakers to much large PMC Wafer1 speakers I noticed much more depth from the surround signal. The motorbike chase at the beginning of Skyfall highlights the difference as they sound like motorbikes rather than mopeds when they come from the back of the soundstage.

Having said that Wafer 1s aren't floorstanders, but you can still get fairly low bass signal in the surrounds and signal above 80Hz starts to become directional, so little speakers crossed over at 120Hz mean that you'll lose some of the surround effect. Crossing them over at 80Hz means that you'll lose some of the signal if they can't reproduce sound that low.

Riyazi

tyrone burton said:

Only that it is almost 50% more than the budget you indicated :) looks good - the 10.3 have the same specs as the 10.1s. However as indicated above it will more cost efficient to get cheaper bookshelf speakers and stands for the rears instead of floorstanders. Also, THX recommends that the rears are placed approximately 2 feet above the listening height which will be difficult with the floorstanders. With regard to sub - I am sure if would be good and it was one of my preferred options when I was upgrading. But the general consensus in these forums is that the bk subs are well worth the money which made me change my mind.

Alrighty then. Yes it's a bit more than I was hoping to spend but that won't take long. And about the speaker stands, I heard using floor standers speakers will give out a much better sound than bookshelves ones?

Soundmangt4

Alrighty then. Yes it's a bit more than I was hoping to spend but that won't take long. And about the speaker stands, I heard using floor standers speakers will give out a much better sound than bookshelves ones?

Your thread says '1st time surround speaker and AVR buyer', so please trust me when I say that bookshelf speakers are more than fin for rears.
Yes, floor standers sound better, but only as main L&R's. Almost all cinema 5.1 speaker packages have bookshelf rears for a reason, as with no low-end required from them, why waste the money and size for floor stander when all you need is clear mid/high's.
What you can save on bookshelf rears, can be spent on better main L&R's and centres.

weavesno1

Distinguished Member
Hi there I would definitely have a look at the tannoy sfx 5.1 speaker package from richer sounds. If its your first time with a receiver and speaker package then these are awesome. I have them in my living room at the moment. Sound is incredible. Hope this helps

Soundmangt4 said:
Your thread says '1st time surround speaker and AVR buyer', so please trust me when I say that bookshelf speakers are more than fin for rears.
Yes, floor standers sound better, but only as main L&R's. Almost all cinema 5.1 speaker packages have bookshelf rears for a reason, as with no low-end required from them, why waste the money and size for floor stander when all you need is clear mid/high's.
What you can save on bookshelf rears, can be spent on better main L&R's and centres.

I hear what you mean. It's something I'll think about definitely. Thanks..

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

Focal releases 1000 Series integrated speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Klipsch announces ProMedia 2.1 BT speaker set
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
No Time to Die gets pushed to 8th Oct 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
KEF announces KC62 subwoofer with new Uni-Core technology
  • By Andy Bassett