• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

First time sub – considering new BK XLS200 or S/H B&W ASW675

P_J_B

Established Member
Hi,

I'm looking to get a sub for my first home cinema setup and would really value any advice anyone can give me for my specific requirements. I will be using B&W 601 S3s all round. My budget is about £300 but I would consider stretching it a bit more if it would get me a considerable performance improvement.

My room is about 5m by 3m and the setup will be used 50/50 for movies and music. I will be using the system mostly at low-mid level volumes and would therefore like a sub that excels at this listening level as I will rarely, if ever, use it at high volumes.

I've done some initial research but plan to do more if I get the time. So far the two main contenders that have cropped up are the BK XLS200 brand new or a second hand B&W ASW-675. How would these compare for my requirements?

Also would appreciate suggestions of any other models that are worth looking at, either brand new or used for my budget.

Cheers,

Pete

Andywilliams

Established Member
I have owned the asw675 and it is a great little sub if you can get one for £300 i would buy it.
Andy.

blue max

Distinguished Member
I just sold my ASW675 on this very forum for £300, so your timing is dreadful unfortunately.

It's one hell of a sub and I am not finding it easy to replace. For its minute (relatively) size, it's a pocket rocket. Obviously going large opens up more possibilities, but that doesn't suit everyone (nor my wife as it goes!).

I would wholeheartedly recommend it.

Graham

P_J_B

Established Member
Thanks for your advice guys. I've also been having a look at the SVS subs. In particular the PB12-NSD, SB12-Plus or the SVS 25-31PCi for a bit more money. I'd appreciate people's opinions on these as well and whether they'd be good for my requirements (50/50 music/movies & mid-low volumes).

blue max

Distinguished Member
Thanks for your advice guys. I've also been having a look at the SVS subs. In particular the PB12-NSD, SB12-Plus or the SVS 25-31PCi for a bit more money. I'd appreciate people's opinions on these as well and whether they'd be good for my requirements (50/50 music/movies & mid-low volumes).

The two subs you originally quoted were compact subs. They were also keenly priced. If you have more budget and can accommodate a larger sub, then you probably should. The SVS subs have a good reputation as you will find if you do a quick search for each. Trouble is you keep reading how much better the next in the range is and end up with a 13ultra :D

Graham

P_J_B

Established Member
I've had reasonable look at the postings on the bigger SVS models on this forum and people seem really pleased with them (well absolutely ecstacic for the most part really :) ). My only concern is that I get the impression that most of them use it mostly at high volumes with movie material and I wasn't sure how well that would translate to my requirements.

If it's the case that these higher powered subs will still make a significant contribution to the listening experience at lower volumes, especially with music, then i think i'd be happier making the space for it and stretching my budget a bit. :D

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom