1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First time projector buyer- Use with PC - Advice please

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Cas141, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Cas141

Cas141

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello - I am a potential first time buyer of a projector and I am seeking advice please.
    I want to connect it to my PC and use it in place of the monitor.
    It will be used with Windows 98SE O/S.
    It will be used for playing flight simulators, and also for viewing DVD films run on the computer.
    The window blind of the bedroom will be replaced with a "masquerade grey "one for a screen.
    Screen will be 60 inch max depth and 72 " max width, so I am looking for a 4:3 screen yes?
    LCDs seem favourite (though seemto have dead pixel probs!)
    Are commercial PJs the best?
    Please recommend some models.
    I take it that I just plug the monitor cable into the projector, or am I being naive!! Please put me right if so.
    About 2, 500 to spend!
    I'd appreciate your input-Thanks

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    With LCD, it literally can be as easy as plug it in and away you go! Set the resolution to the native resolution of the projector.

£2500 is a fair bit of cash....... you can get both the sanyo plv30 (i have it and it is fab, albeit a bit loud) or the panny AE100, both are about half your budget.

I cant comment on whether crt would be better, but it does require more set up and isnt in anyway small or portable! If i were you, id be looking for a small lcd or dlp.

ad

ps. I think you are in the wrong forum!

3. Cas141

Cas141

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply and your input, but I now think I am in the correct forum:)
    I have been in the one about all types of projector except CRT ones- BTW, as far as CRT types are concerned, i am in no way interested in those so you needn't have mentioned them.- and I now realise that THIS is the forum I need because I am intending to use the projector exclusively with my PC, mostly with a computer programme, ie a flight simulator game, so I reckon this is the right forum?
    For which reason I have ruled out the Panny A100E.

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You have the right forum then!

Why rule out the panny? I dont know what it is like beyond the views of others, but plenty seen to use it for hcpc. Personally i like my sanyo though. I'll have a look about and see if there are any others which shine above the rest! :D

ad

5. Cas141

Cas141

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Buns - appreciate that.

6. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm a CRT fan (if there is such a thing) but if you're mostly playing games then a DLP would probably be a better choice.

CRT looks far better for watching films/video but for computer graphics they are not as sharp and will burn quicker. They are also not as bright.

If you are watching a lot of films then CRT is the thing to go for.

7. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wirrrrrrr :D :clown: :D

8. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: