First time projector buyer- Use with PC - Advice please

C

Cas141

Hello - I am a potential first time buyer of a projector and I am seeking advice please.
I want to connect it to my PC and use it in place of the monitor.
It will be used with Windows 98SE O/S.
It will be used for playing flight simulators, and also for viewing DVD films run on the computer.
The window blind of the bedroom will be replaced with a "masquerade grey "one for a screen.
Screen will be 60 inch max depth and 72 " max width, so I am looking for a 4:3 screen yes?
LCDs seem favourite (though seemto have dead pixel probs!)
Are commercial PJs the best?
Please recommend some models.
I take it that I just plug the monitor cable into the projector, or am I being naive!! Please put me right if so.
About 2, 500 to spend!
I'd appreciate your input-Thanks

buns

Banned
With LCD, it literally can be as easy as plug it in and away you go! Set the resolution to the native resolution of the projector.

£2500 is a fair bit of cash....... you can get both the sanyo plv30 (i have it and it is fab, albeit a bit loud) or the panny AE100, both are about half your budget.

I cant comment on whether crt would be better, but it does require more set up and isnt in anyway small or portable! If i were you, id be looking for a small lcd or dlp.

ad

ps. I think you are in the wrong forum!

C

Cas141

Thanks for the reply and your input, but I now think I am in the correct forum:)
I have been in the one about all types of projector except CRT ones- BTW, as far as CRT types are concerned, i am in no way interested in those so you needn't have mentioned them.- and I now realise that THIS is the forum I need because I am intending to use the projector exclusively with my PC, mostly with a computer programme, ie a flight simulator game, so I reckon this is the right forum?
For which reason I have ruled out the Panny A100E.

buns

Banned
Originally posted by Cas141
Thanks for the reply and your input, but I now think I am in the correct forum:)
I have been in the one about all types of projector except CRT ones- BTW, as far as CRT types are concerned, i am in no way interested in those so you needn't have mentioned them.- and I now realise that THIS is the forum I need because I am intending to use the projector exclusively with my PC, mostly with a computer programme, ie a flight simulator game, so I reckon this is the right forum?
For which reason I have ruled out the Panny A100E.
You have the right forum then!

Why rule out the panny? I dont know what it is like beyond the views of others, but plenty seen to use it for hcpc. Personally i like my sanyo though. I'll have a look about and see if there are any others which shine above the rest! :D

ad

GagHalfrunt

I'm a CRT fan (if there is such a thing) but if you're mostly playing games then a DLP would probably be a better choice.

CRT looks far better for watching films/video but for computer graphics they are not as sharp and will burn quicker. They are also not as bright.

If you are watching a lot of films then CRT is the thing to go for.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom