First Time Plasma Instructions

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by gis_uk, Mar 14, 2006.

1. gis_uk

gis_uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a delievery of a Panasonic TH37PE50 today.

Just wondering if anyone could tell me some of the first things I should do to make sure I get a good long quality life out of it.

Also, is it worth hooking up my PC via component instead of an S-Video cable?

Thanks

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Component would be way better if you have that output on your pc

U dont really have to do anything just dont keep contrast and brightness over halfway. adn dont leave static images on for hours

3. rapid

rapid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I'm hoping to take delivery of my 37pe50 tomorrow afternoon :)

From what I've read, it's best to take it out of dynamic mode and set it to either normal or cinema. Turn brightness and contrast down to < 50% (set to 40-45% if possible)

Refrain from watching channels with static images such as logos/news tickers/scores (footy!:mad:) - if you must watch these try using the aspec ratio 'zoom' - this will zoom the screen in pushing the logo outside of the viewing area.

After 200-250 hours use, calibrate the screen using something like Digital Video Essentials (DVE) this can be bought from www.dvd.co.uk at £14 delivered (guide to using this here). Even after 200 hours it's still advised to avoid logos etc, supposedly after 1000 hours you can do what you like..

As said component will be better than s-video.

Hope this helps, let me know how you get on with your screen, can't wait for mine to arrive :clap:

4. IAmATeaf

IAmATeaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    All I did with my 42PE50 was take it out of Dynamic and set it to normal and left the aspect ratio to Panasonic Auto so that it automatically zooms the screen in and out, this effectively changes the position of channel logos.

Haven't had any problems with my screen but then again from what I've read the PE50 weren't that suseptable (sp?) to screen burn.

5. Orwella

Orwella

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    There is no S-Video input on the PE50 so you will need a video card that outputs via component. I use an ATI X800 VIVO card and set the output to 720p (1280x720 pixels). The PE50 will downscale the image to it's natice res of 852x480 but it still delivers a top quality picture.

As for run-in, Put in Cinema mode and Panny Autozoon for the first month or so and then adjust to what looks best to you. The PE50 is probably the most commonly owned plasma on this forum and I have never heard anyone complain about screenburn. It is a great plasma screen.

6. gis_uk

gis_uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm well chuffed with my plasma apart from the fact S-Video into a scart looks poor. Since I have a spare DVI port can I get a DVI to Component cable?

7. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    DVI port on what? The PC? No they're not compatible without an active converter of some sort.

8. gis_uk

gis_uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah sorry, PC connection. No chance of DVI then?

9. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Not on that screen. I think you can output VGA over your DVI connection and then convert it to component.