1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First time plasma advice.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by alansedge, Sep 4, 2004.

1. alansedge

alansedge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All,

First post, hoping for a bit of advice (hate asking in my first post, sorry!!).

I've been looking for a wee while at getting a plasma screen, since moving into my first home just over a year ago infact! I bought a fairly decent Harmon Kardon amp and DVD player when I moved in on the intention of getting my screen straight away, not so however!

Anyway, a year on and I from what I can see the PW6 Panasonic now seems about the best cost/performance compromise I can see, hoping to spend as close to the 2K mark as possible. Any advice on other screens to check out? First look around and I've found the screen for £1900, with the option of the 3 year warrenty at £200. Im fairly keen to take the warrenty for peace of mind, unless advised otherwise?

The best option I think would be to run only the one scart cable to the screen from one of the scart splitters I see are talked highly of. The run from cabinets etc. will be about 6ish metres, is this possible/ok? Fewer cables the better as I will be going up through walls etc.

Finally, I have never had the stereo set up properly, the shop I bought from I now realise were fairly keen to sell big and then no follow up... live and learn I guess but obvious why they're not getting my buisness for the screen. Is there companys/people that will come and set this up, I am located in Aberdeen.

Aoplogies for the long winded post! Thanks in advance for any comments or sugestions.

Alan Sedge

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Lack of follow up is what you get for £1900, they've just made £30 out of you! 6m is a very long way for scart, and of course the plugs are the size of a small house, so the holes you make will make your house look like emental. Doubtless the DVD does component video, and likely the amp has component in/out ports? If so, a single cable is possible, you'll need to convert the signal from your set top box to component, unless you are fortunate enough to have one that does it anyway. Then you can connect both to the amp, and single component cable to the screen. This must be 3 phono to 15pin subD, ie VGA. You can set this input to accept component video in the screen menu. You'll be making the most of the DVD, very decent signal from a set top box, simple to use, one robust signal to the screen, no real drawbacks. Even the plug is smaller than a scart. 6m is no problem to component video. You need a component converter if you have sky, from www.jstechnology.com Various cables are available, from £35 to more than any rational Scot would pay, a good mid point is sold at The media factory (url escapes me)nr. Edinburgh

3. sjl

sjl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    MAW has hit the nail on the head basically,he very kindly helped me out with my PW6 and helped me upgrade and its probably the best thing I have done.

I have a different amp but have it all running through the amp like MAW suggested and the picture quality is fantastic.

Listen to him Alan he knows his stuff :)

Cheers

Steve