1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First time plasma advice again please...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sunil4, Dec 5, 2003.

1. sunil4

sunil4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

I was directed here from a forum called BM3W where people such as Brogan and Neil (not sure of his user name here) also hang out.

Anyhow, i wonder if you gurus can help. In January i intend to buy a plasma up to 43" for our new 1 bed flat. It will be the main set but it isnt a very large flat - the seating distance from screen will be no more than 4-5 ft.

I have heard great things about the Pio 434 but also about the Panny 42PA20B and wonder which one will suit me better. Seeing as from the likes of Currys, the Panny can be had around £600 cheaper than the Pio is also making me think - will i really be able to tell the difference?

My set up will be Yamaha 630RDS amp, Nokia freeview box, Toshiba 330 SDE DVD and Sony 835 speakers - yes quite a budget system! I am not sure whether telewest or sky can be installed in the flat as it is in a listed building.

What do you guys suggest - i do like my blacks to be black and we watch more terrestrial tv than DVDs (but the plasma might change that!)

Which one do i go for?

Thanks in advance

Sunil

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If all the people here viewed the Panny's & the Pioneer's side by side half would end up choosing one & the other half the other one. It's a split camp. The only way you will be able to tell which camp you are in is to find somewhere to demo them side by side where they are well set up & with the same feed.

I wouldn't do my viewing at Curry's

;)

Maybe see if Nexnix have what you need.

3. sunil4

sunil4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks i sort of knew that would be the case, i guess i am just a sucker for reviews! - keep the comments coming please......

I am in Croydon so there are a couple of places (sevenoaks, audiotech, richer sounds and then the usual suspects - dixons (pio 434 only, currys both and comet)............

4. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If you want the blackest blacks and most of your watching is TV rather than DVD, I'd suggest you don't buy a plasma at all but one of the best CRT TVs - possibly the Sony FQ range. You'd also save yourself a lot of money! Not a fashionable view I know but even the most diehard plasma supporters on here wouldn't argue that plasma is up to the best CRT standards.

5. sunil4

sunil4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks bernard, my only concern would be that the plasma will save a hell of a lot of space in a small flat rather than a large CRT (depth of casing) as i want a big screen

Does the sony FQ range cover a large tube (+36")

Cheers

S

6. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I believe there's a 36-inch version. But it would be enormous and you're probably right that you wouldn't have room for it.

7. sunil4

sunil4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers i think plasma it is then (already have a Tosh 14" LCD for the bedroom) - i will have to live with the compromise over CRT for the benefits of space and sexiness!

So let the debate continue gentlemen!....Panny vs Pio......

Also a lot of people mention the 6 series Panny - is this not a commercial unit and hence less suitable for TV reception?

Cheers

S

8. saturday

saturday
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With your space constraints you will have to go plasma for a big screen. But sitting 4 feet from a 42" is way too close!

Personally I'd go for something a bit smaller (a 32" plasma is roughly equiv in visible screen size to a 36" CRT). It will still seem huge from 4 feet, you'll see fewer image imperfections and it will be a lot less money. You could then upgrade the rest of your system with the money saved :)

9. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    6 series comes in consumer (home) and commercial (business) versions - both models are identical apart from colour (commercial is black) and are both fully supported for home use inc warranties

PWD6 = commercial = black (charcoal grey)
    PW6 = consumer = silver

JJ

10. sunil4

sunil4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i see your point mate,

Whats the best 32" at present then - the hitachi 32pd300 which can be had for around 2.1k? - i saw that its big brother, the 42pd won awards? - but the contrast ratios seem much lower at 900:1 compared to the Pannys etc

Thanks

11. sunil4

sunil4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jasonjo - is the 6 series superior to the 42 panny model i mentioned originally?

12. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Not superior, just different.

The PW6/PWD6 is a screen only and you need to buy inputs that you will need (like scart, component etc)

The PA20 comes as a "normal" TV with a built in tuner and input boards built-in...pretty sure they also use the same screen/internals though

Depends on what you need really...it you want convenience and plug and play with speakers integrated the PA20 is good. But if you want a monitor display to go with a home cinema setup then the PWD6/PW6's may be better (and cheaper ;))

I also prefer the look of the PW's and you have the option of black or silver...Happy choosing :smashin:

JJ

13. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The only 32-inch plasmas are Hitachi, Sony and (I think) Philips. The Hitachi and the Sony have the same Fujitsu glass. The Sony looks nicest but is not suitable for wall-mounting as it's too deep, especially once you've got your scarts in. Also you're undoubtedly paying for the Sony name.

14. saturday

saturday
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you do a search on this forum you'll find a number of people who rave over their Hitachi screens - you'll also find an equal number of people who loathe Alis screen technology. My own view is that the Hitachi screens cope very well with less than perfect signals eg analogue/digital TV and DVD is very good too. Let your eyes do the work and demo one - after all, you'll be the one watching it! You could also consider the Panny 37" or the Toshiba 35" though I think you'll find 32" a safer bet for your room.

One possible advantage of something like the Hitachi 32pd300 is that it comes with tuner and speakers (attached), plenty of connections and a table mount (wall mount optional).

This makes it very TV like and handy if you just want to switch on and watch - sometimes you might not want the full AV experience - when you do your AV equipment is still there and connected. Some people find this very wife/family friendly.

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Sunil have you considered an LCD Sharp do 37" and 30" LCD which are superb, have a couple of anvantages over plasma (some disadvantages too) If you are looking at stuff in sub 42" size 37" might be ideal, PA20 is availble in 37" as are a couple of other plasmas

16. sunil4

sunil4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers guys, looks like i will have to demo then! - might wait until i move in then measure properly before comitting to a screen size....37" does sound appealing but may be too big as you say

my view i guess is that i can have a bigger plasma than lcd for the same price hence the plasma fetish.............

keep it coming, all input very much appreciated

PS the wife isnt allowed to watch telly in my absence - i will confine her to the kitchen/ bedroom/ bathroom until i am home and give her permission as knowing her she will leave it on a shopping channel and burn the screen:devil::smashin:

17. sunil4

sunil4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hitachi contrast is 900:1 on the 32 and Panny on the 37" is 4000:1

is this comparable or is it apples and bananas?

surely this would detract from the picture quality but the magazine reviews cant be wrong can they

PS Dixons £2,199 online, JL £2,499 with 5yr warranty and see if i can get barclaycard platinum to refund the diff;)

18. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    apples and oranges, actually :rotfl: :rotfl:

Nah, Panny seem to calculate their figures differently - remember that in the real worldit equates to about 1200:1 or so...dont just go an figures, get the demo...:smashin:

JJ

19. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Horny's suggestion of Sharp LCD in 30" or 37" seems a good one if your wife likes qvc etc, you could let her watch them on an LCD, no screen burn! May lose out a bit on PQ, but then they also have hi-res, which might be important at your viewing distance. Fairly sure you'd see pixel structure on the panny 37 from 4-5 ft, lovely though it is otherwise.

20. hb1966

hb1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Out of curiosity what is the recommended viewing distance of the TH42PW6B?

21. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    There isn't really one. I previously worked for a north London installer/retailer. We used to put them in some decidedly 'bijou' Primrose Hill apartments, real estate ther being so expensive, everything is smaller. Closer than about 6 ft you can clearly see the panel structure.

22. sunil4

sunil4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So is the sharp 37" lcd a better bet than a 32" hitachi MAW?

Cheers

S

23. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Well I think so, but you're the one who has to watch it! LCD blacks are not all they could be, and the contrast is not as good, but the small pixel size will help, and the absence of screen burn sounds like a powerful factor for you. It's a very nice bit of kit with an excellent warranty too.

24. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Fair few people say that 8/9/10 ft is OK for most viewing on 42"...others say 10-15ft is better...

Try it and see at the demo you are going to have ;)

JJ

25. sunil4

sunil4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    demo is a dirty word for me chaps - i am a fashion victim:smoke:

26. hb1966

hb1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I reckon i have around 8 feet from where i sit to where the screen will be. Visited shop to look at the Plasma and a couple of crt widescreens. Im just wondering now if the Plasma will pull the wall down if i buy one - new house with platerboard, gap then breezeblock, could be a right nightmare.

27. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Wall constuction can be got around, a 42" only weighs 28kg, not really that bad.

28. 7MAT

7MAT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi ya Sunil

7MAT

29. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    LCD is definitely worth auditioning at the smaller screen sizes and for short viewing distances, for the reasons MAW has already stated.

if you are looking at LCDs, consider the philips 30pf9975 too. Currently £1999 from most places, and very similar quality to the sharp 30" (I preferred it)

There is also a JVC 32" LCD coming soon which, if the 26" version is anything to go by, will be a real belter.