1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

first time 'Phantom' viewers opinion

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by gargoyle, Oct 12, 2001.

1. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I got my copy of 'Phantom Menace' yesterday and gave it its first spin last night, here's what I thought......
    I consider myself a Star Wars fan having spent hundreds of pounds watching it in cinemas since 1977 and these films are what prompted me to get into home cinema when I bought the super 8 condensed version for my projector back in the eighties from derran video and am now currently revelling in the delights of the digital medium.
    I had high expectations of this film when the familiar fanfare and scrolling credits started up so grabbed a couple of lagers, reclined my chair and prepared for two hours of nirvana. Two hours later , the end credits are rolling and I feel cheated - this is NOT star Wars - its a platform for lucas arts to publish games based on this film - it felt like I had been watching somebody playing the latest lucas arts game and anyone will tell you that its better to be the participant than the audience of a computer game.
    The SFX are superb but the adage comes to mind - you can have too much of a good thing!
    The sound on my 6.1 system is undoubtedly the best I'v ever heard and the dvd image quality is excellent but at the end of the day , my opinion is that there are only three star wars films - 4,5 and 6 and this film is just a showcase for the latest computer generated special effects - I just hope that lucas concentrates more on the story in the next film.
    I still watch my star wars laserdisc boxsets and they may not be 6.1 , may not have tons of extra's and the image may be a little soft when compared to the latest dvd releases but I can come away from each viewing having had two hours of pure fun and escapism - phantom? its the worlds most expensive demo disc!

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: gargoyle ]

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,401
    There is no 6.1 on Phantom Menace. It's Dolby EX. You only get '6.1' on DTS discreet soundtracks.
    I have it spinning now, and the edge enhancement is terrible. Long shots of the racers before the start of the pod race show up terrible ghosting.
    Very disappointing picture.

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: Spectre ]