First time owner Denon 3802

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by instigator, Dec 6, 2011.

Tags:
  1. instigator

instigator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    So, I bought an old Denon avr 3802 from a forum member via the classified section....

Had it for a few months...

Wow... What an amazing machine!

At first it was in my very small lounge and it was actually shocking how thunderous and dynamic it was...

Now it's in my music room which is about 3x bigger than the lounge... It's still amazing but that scary thundering shaking my socks off aspect is somewhat lost in the bigger room... No doubt to my small mission speakers... Ms2 or something, can't remember....

But wow, even listening to music on it in stereo or via headphones is amazing... A review I read of my speakers said they were great in small rooms but not as exciting in big rooms so I guess that sums them up perfectly....

I had been using a Cambridge Audio A5 with mission 701 speakers to mix my band's music on but the Denon amp even with headphones has loads more detail...

Listening to stuff I've already mixed is kinda weird, most of everything holds up well except for a couple really small minor things...
    http://ntsdd.bandcamp.com/album/shadows

For headphones I had been using a tascam fw 1884 connected to my computer via FireWire...

The Denon is now connected to tascam via optical spdif for stereo listening for mixing in Logic Studio but I am going to be using the 7 analogue outs on my tascam mixer to feed the analogue ins on the Denon so I can mix in surround sound...

Should I reset the Denon 3802 to factory settings and then configure it for my room? It's probably still set for the previous owners room?

Thanks in advance...

Ps - I've just bought a Denon 1610 (again from a forum member) to use with appletv 2 in the lounge...

Would it be a good idea to use my mission surround speakers for the small lounge and then get speakers more suited for the larger music room for mixing?

I'm on a very tight budget by the way, I know one can spend thousands on speakers but I can't right now...

Pps if anyone wants to test out my surround sound mixes let me know....

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011