• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

First time nas buyer

maggo87

Hi all
I've recently setup a htpc and it's running win7 and xbmc and I'm loving it.
I now want to take it a bit further, I currently have a portable HDD plugged into my htpc with my movies and TV shows on the problem is when ever I have new movies music or shows to put on it I have to unplug it and plug it into my laptop, transfer the content then plug it back in.
I am soon to be setting up 3 raspberry pi's as xbmc streamers so I have been thinking I want to setup some sort of nas.
I also would like to be able to transfer any pics that I have on my ipad and mine and my wives android phones onto the nas.
So is this possible and how can I go about it?

next010

Distinguished Member
Why not just use the HTPC as the server ?

You have good hardware for it and XBMC doubles as a UPnP server, if you use the media library mode of XBMC you can browse that via UPnP on other XBMC clients. So the other XBMC R-Pi units could all point easily at one location.

If it's not on all the time or incapable of waking from sleep over lan then a NAS would be a better option, anything at all will do all XBMC needs is SMB/samba file server which every NAS has, if you want something cheap but decent check out the Zyxel NAS or look at WD MyCloud.

maggo87

I have wake on lan setup on my htpc so I think that could be a good option. Thank you.
How would I go about the ipad and android phones pictures sync to the pc?

next010

Distinguished Member
There are many apps which do this.

Here is one I've used before, you install server app on PC and can transfer photos to the PC by installing the app on your device (iOS and Android supported).

Some cloud drive services like SkyDrive, EyeFi Cloud and SugerSync not all only sync camera rolls remotely to the server but also sync to a local PC with the software installed.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom