First Time HTPC build, Looking for guidance

Carlrizzo

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am now looking to build my first HTPC, I haven't built a PC from scratch but done upgrades etc in past and am looking forward to the challenge.

It will be hidden away under the stairs so aesthetically it doesn't matter what it looks like really and will connect via HDMI to my Yamaha amp and would like to control via my Harmony One remote.

I will be looking to use it for my DVD collection including tv series and would like to be able to stream Netflix, iplayer etc. Would also like to get internet radio, store music, view photos etc. initially I was thinking of having the storage drive in the HTPC and then upgrade NAS as the collection grows. Would like to have it up and running when I need it so was thinking of an SSD to boot or can I leave it in sleep mode?

If possible would like to access it from other tvs in the house, not sure if this is easy. Also if I put in a DVD/blue ray drive I can replace the denon DVD player.

Have been looking at front end and like the look of media portal, I want the film/tv/music data to be pulled through.

I don't want to spend a fortune and have sky plus so don't need the tv tuner but want it fast and proofed for a few years.

Appreciate you helping me out!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom