First time: filming babies

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Gades, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Gades

Gades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,
    in a few months our baby will be born, and I obviously "need" a camcorder.

What low budget camera would be suitable for baby filming (in the bath, on her mom's arms, etc.. mostly indoors).

Any advice would be very welcome :)

2. m@rk

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Get something that is good in low light.

Trust me, it's the only time you will get chance to use it in the first few months.

3. peachfuzz

peachfuzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With the birth of my first child imminent, I was in exactly the same position. My experiences have been documented on these forums so I wont bore you by going over old ground, but I bought the Sony HC40 in the end and I am very pleased so far.

4. Gades

Gades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    >> Get something that is good in low light.

Such as... ?

peachfuzz, I just checked on your camera, and one thing that I don't understand is the reason of the 10X Optical zoom. Don't Sony cameras of lower price offer a much better optical zoom?

5. peachfuzz

peachfuzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The HC40 is very good in low light, the night shot is superb.

It seems that Canon offer x18, x20 & x22 on their models, JVC offer x16 on theirs but it appears Sony and the rest only ever offer x10. It comes down to what is practicably usable. There is an argument that says you should use a tripod for anything over x3 to elimibate camera shake, and I've found that for what I've shot so far I tend to leave it as wide as poss. to capture the whole scene. Of course that may change in a few years when there's things like sports day and stuff, but by then who knows what's going to be on the market.
    Try it out in a shop like Jessops. Play with a few models and zoom in to something over the road and ask yourself if you're ever likely to do that in actual use.
    I bought the HC40 because I decided that was the best in my price range, so naturally I have a bias there based on that. I did spend a lot of time in different retailers like Dixons and Jessops trying the cameras out. The sales staff are very willing to let you play if they think you're about to hand over a huge lump of cash!
    Edit - (oh, and when you try a camera out, make sure they put a tape in it so you can hear any motor noise i.e the Canons)

6. Gades

Gades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, thanks a lot for your comments peachfuzz

I think I'll go and try a few as you say.

Cheers