1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Time DVD Recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jess123, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Jess123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Can you help me please - I'm drowning in technology.

My parents would like to buy me a DVD Recorder for my birthday (although if it turns out to be an expensive one it'll end up being a joint b'day & xmas pressie).

I would mainly use it to record programmes from the TV (I have freeview via a settop box). I would watch what I had recorded fairly quickly and don't need much memory to save recordings. I have no VCR that works and don't have any video tapes. I haven't even got a DVD player as it didn't seem worth it until the DVD recorders came down in price. So basically there's just the digi-box, TV and DVD recorder to link up.

I know that to have time-slip recording (which I would like) I need either DVD+/-RAM or a hard drive. I would like to be able to record in formats that most other people will be able to read.

The only other thing I would really like is to be able to record cutting out advert breaks as I believe this is possible.

Can you give me some advice as to whether DVD +/- is better, if DVD-RAM is going to become the Beta-max of the future and whether there is much to choose between the RAM/hard drive option.

Any makes or models less than £300 would be appreciated too. Thanks, Jess
  2. redsox_mark

Oct 20, 2003
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Bath, England
    Start by reading Rasczak's guide:

I don't think there is any worry about RAM going the way of Beta. But if you want to edit out adverts and make a disc which can play on most players, you need one with a HDD. If you get something like the Toshiba XS32 or the Panasonic EH50 they support RAM and also -R and -RW. Both these models can be found around the £300 mark.