1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Time DVD Recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Henry, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I'm quite often in London for a few days at a time and I'd like to get a reasonably priced DVD recorder so that I can record programs off Sky+ and then watch them on a normal DVD player when I'm down in London.

Any recommendations? :smashin:

2. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Any help/ideas greatly appreciated! :lease:

3. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    What make is your 'normal' DVD player?

4. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    A Toshiba 220E. Cheap and cheerful but pretty good.

5. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Just to confirm, that to keep the cost down and as I've got Sky+ with a 250Gb HDD in it, I don't need a hard drive in the recorder. Any thought?

6. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +586
    Just because you have Sky+ I wouldn't necessarily rule out a DVD recorder with HDD. I am looking for a DVD recorder to partner my upgraded Sky+ and have come to the conclusion, that for me the extra £100 for a HDD is well worth it.

My reasoning is that I will use Sky+'s copy facility to dump multiple programs to the HDD overnight. I can then split, edit, etc, the recordings on the HDD and then high speed dub the results to multiple DVD-Rs. If I didn't have a HDD and I wanted to use Sky+ copy function to dump multiple episodes of a series to disk then I would end up with:
    (1) Only one title on the disk as it would regard 4 1hr episodes as one 4 hour recording. (I'm not sure if the editing available on DVD-R would allow this splitting before finalising.)
    (2) Lower picture quality as I'd waste alot of the space on the DVD recording the padding at the start and end of each programme. If you can be bothered you could also cut out the ads.
    I suppose you could avoid the above issues without a HDD if you manually record and pause recording while fast forwarding through ads on Sky+.

You can get a good quality DVD recorder with HDD, such as the Panasonic E85 for as little £265.

7. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Great idea. I see what you mean. That would be easier to copy and edit stuff. :smashin: