First time DVD player buyer

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by amarvijay, Jun 28, 2002.

1. amarvijay

amarvijay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm looking to buy a new DVD player. My budget is about £150 and I don't want anything too fancy as I'll probably get a really decent system sometime in the future.
    I just want something that will play multi-region DVDs and has cool features - essentially a player that will do the job without knowing all the tech stuff.
    Is there anything anyone can recommend?
    Thanks,
    Amar

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    spend another thirty quid and go for the Toshiba 220, it's their replacement model for the 210 which people loved around here. Or you might get the Pioneer 444 for that cash (I have the 545, which I love). You should get both of those players with the necessary multi-region mod for that cash.

EDIT: IGNORE THE TOSHIBA SUGGESTION, I'VE JUST SEEN A THREAD WITH LOADS OF COMPLAINTS ABOUT IT GO FOR THE PIONEER, ITS TRIED AND TESTED AND FANTASTIC QUALITY

3. amarvijay

amarvijay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I'll definately look into the Pioneer one...
    Amar

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +894
    Try the older Toshiba 210, no problems with that model.

The 220 should also have its firmware problem fixed now, but you´d need to doublecheck with the supplier.

Check out

www.leconcepts.com

Excellent service.

5. tom-m

tom-m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Jase, take a look at the bargain basement area at leconcepts as the Tosh 210 is only £139.99. (and no firmware worries)

Or you could try the Pioneer 350 at £149.99, personally, I think the Tosh seems a good bargain though :)

tom

6. amarvijay

amarvijay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for you help, the Toshiba seems like the best one so far

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yea the tosh for that price is incredible value

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try the Sony DVP NS305 or the NS300 (earlier model, might be cheaper). Got cracking reviews and is a cracking entry level player. I got the NS300 - totally satisifed with it :)

9. Justin@UH

Justin@UH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Pioneer DV444 & Dv545 are discontinued, been replaced by the Dv350 / DV454 :(

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    they are still up on Pioneer's website, in think they may be running the new models alongside the old one's for a while, there doesn't seem to be direct replacement for the 545 tho.

11. super7

super7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Amar

I agree with Sqirrel God - The Sony DVP-NS300 is a cracking player, and I'm very happy with mine. Although now replaced by the 305, you can still get hold of them.

It has all the features you'll realistically need (possibly with the exception of CD-R playback), and virtually no gimmicky features (although I'm damned if I can see what difference there is between the 3 Block Noise Reduction modes).

The Tosh 210 had great reviews also, and has component video which is great if you have a TV which accepts these.

Enjoy...

Super7