first-time camcorder

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by steve998, Nov 3, 2005.

1. steve998

steve998

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would lile to buy a easy to use sub £300 digital camcoder.

I would like digital and analugue inputs (and maybe a socket for an external mic)

I like the look of the Canon camcorders (especialy as I have a canon camera and direct-print printer).

What are you views on the MV830i and the MV850i.

I know very little about camcorders, but I would like a 16:9 image as I have a plasma widescreen which I want to use on playback.

Are Panasonic / Sony MUCH better?

Many thanks

2. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    If you want a true anamorphic widescreen picture from your camcorder you will have to look at JVC, Sony and Canon (there are other makes).

Panasonic do not presently have a true widescreen camcorder to take advantage of a 16:9 TV or display.

3. ellington

ellington
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just recenly bought a Canon MV850i as my first digital camcorder. Very easy to use point and shoot but has plenty of other features should you need them Supposed to do reasonable 16:9 but I haven't used it. (still on 4:3) Doesn't have a socket for external mic but does have AV in/out and DV in/out. Also I can use the same software and cable for downloading stills from the MMC card as I do for my Canon Ixus 400. Can be had for less than £300. I paid just over from Amazon.
    http://www.simplydv.co.uk/Reviews/canon_mv850i.html
    link to review of the camera.

ellington

4. steve998

steve998

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for your help and advice,

I am looking at either the Canon 850 OR the Sony HC 42 (which comes with a docking station)

The features look pretty similar. However I would like to know if the Sony can take a 'Bullet' camera in its inputs. I am sure the Canon Can (sorry!) but the Sony looks as if the inputs are all on the dock, which would not be desirable if you wanted to connect a bullet cam.

Not sure if I have explained this very well.