First time buying a projector

PaxBritannica

Novice Member
I moved into my new house back in August last year and we set up a partition in the living room to make a small 3m x 3m room for a projector. It will mostly be used for football, F1, and the occasional movie. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I genuinely do not have a clue where to start.

Budget is about £6/700 but the cheaper the better preferably, without compromising too much on picture quality.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
Are you looking for everything or just the projector? The reason I ask is that £6/700 pound is going to be very tough indeed

My suggestion would be to wait until you see and Epson, Panasonic, Sony, Optoma or JVC pop up in the classified That money should be enough for you find a reasonable projector at that money. If however you are looking to spend £6/700 on the whole kit, then this will be a very different story as any projector which includes speakers (with the exception of the newer UST projector) aren't even worth looking at as they sound awful

So to start with you will need to find an AVR (AV Receiver) with HDMI, five speakers plus a subwoofer if you wish to enjoy 5.1 sound. These alone as you expect even on the secondhand market will push your budget and that will not include the projector

Then you will require some kind of blu-ray/broadcasting system to the AVR in order to watch things on it

With surround sound, you can get away with building the system up bit by bit to save a little money by purchasing the AVR and stereo speakers to start with, then when you have the extra funds available, purchase a centre, rears and subwoofer when the options arise

With your budget, I'm guessing you will not be using a screen, but do note that HDMI cable over distances of 5m can be costly and may also fail over time, so if you are adding them to the new room, do ensure that you can retrieve it without causing damage

Hope that give you a little starting point

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
Then keep an eye out for those brand names. Be aware that bulbs do fail, but as you are wanting it more for sport, then it will need to be a reasonable unit to keep up with live panning

This Epson 9300 would have been an ideal projector even though its almost double your budget, but that's the kind of level you are looking for

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Then keep an eye out for those brand names. Be aware that bulbs do fail, but as you are wanting it more for sport, then it will need to be a reasonable unit to keep up with live panning

This Epson 9300 would have been an ideal projector even though its almost double your budget, but that's the kind of level you are looking for
👍👍

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom