First Time Buyer

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by hightower, Mar 14, 2002.

1. hightower

hightower

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I am a first time camcorder buyer and I have recently been investigating the market. I know you must get similar requests all the time but what is the best brand to go with? In terms of value and quality. Is it really worthwhie getting a digital camera or will Hi8/Digital 8 suffice? Also I want to edit footage using my computer but does that mean I need a DV in aswell as a DV out?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm a little bit bewildered by all the options!

Thanks for your time,

Gav

2. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The brands that seem to have the least probs with DV NLE are panasonic & Sony. If you're wanting to edit on your PC, then I'd stongly advise you to stick with DV. This way your copies will be 'lossless'. The down side is that your PC must be up to the job. At least a 500 cpu, 2 HDD's (1 large purely for video) & plenty of RAM. To be fair, you'll need the same even for Hi8/vhs.
    By the way, D8 is digital. I would only go for that if you had lots of previous analogue tapes to convert. (which as a first timer you can't ) Yes DV in/out is essential.