First time buyer needs some advice

C

Chuffy

i'm looking to buy a tv, its the first big buy in the 'real' world so don't wanna waste my money.

i've narrowed it down to three, mainly because i can get them at what seems a reasonable price, but don't know which to choose.

the choices are:

Panasonic 28'' TX28PK2E PureFlat Widescreen Tv £550

Philips 28PW6515 PureFlat Widescreen Tv + Stand £540

JVC AV28WFR1EKS 28'' PureFlat Widescreen Tv & Stand £495

i don't mind paying the £50 difference, so i just need somone to say whether they are good sets and which to plump for.

thanks for your time

Sam

From recent reviews the new Panasonic TX-28PL1 (£540) is rated quite highly... But its not on your original list of 3. If you can find this model then its worthy of a look.

Personally I'm in favour of Panasonic TVs but I don't have too much knowledge about the other sets sorry.

Check out the above model anyway and by then I'm sure someone would help shed some light on the JVC and Philips set.

28PW6515 - Horrendous geometry on the 2 sets I had, plus some other problems. All will be revealed if you search the forum. I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. ;)

In fact, do a search on all these sets and add some others to your shortlist! :) Make sure you have a look in store as well ;)

Chuffy,

Why not consider the newer JVC - ie the AV28R25 - it replaces the discontinued FR1EK as far as I am aware.

I know the list price for this box is 650 gbp ... but I managed to get John Lewis at Oxford St. to do a price match with RGB Hi Fi and I got it for 489 with their standard five year guarantee.

I've had this box for about 6 weeks now and I feel that it is excellent value for money - image is sharp and clear, sound is amazing, and it looks pretty. It has only one weakness in my opinion and that is the dark playback on DVD if piped via RGB. S-Video is however suberb so do bear that in mind.

Anyway, good luck with the hunt!

Rashomon

p.s. I posted a long review on this telly after about two days of owning it - search under the subject 'nervous anticipation'.

I have just purchased a Toshiba 28Z07B for £529.99 from www.buyyourav.com, however ring up for this price as it is £549.99 on the website, this includes open cabinet (with enough shelves for digibox, VCR and DVD player to fit neatly on), VAT and delivery, which I thought was a bit of a bargain as it is £698.99 at Comet on the High Street.

The set is Dolby Pro-Logic and has 3 SCARTS, component video input (for hooking up a suitable DVD player), flatscreen and comes with rear surround external speakers. It is a pretty good TV for watching normal pictures, but fantastic with DVD's.

It is also a best buy in 'What Video & TV' (June 2002) and gets 5 stars in 'What Hi-Fi, Sound and Vision'.

Hope this helps.

AJ

AJ,
How did you get on dealing with "buyyourav"? what kind of delivery time am i looking at and any chance of an extended waranty?
I might be ordering a 28Z07B in the near future and any extra info before i ring them would be much appreciated.
Cheers
The monkey with the nuts.

AJ,
How did you get on dealing with "buyyourav"? what kind of delivery time am i looking at and any chance of an extended waranty?
I might be ordering a 28Z07B in the near future and any extra info before i ring them would be much appreciated.
Cheers
The monkey with the nuts.

FOUND THE FOLLOWING COMMENT ELSEWHERE THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE USEFUL

Have Dixons gone bargain crazy????
Reason I ask is, after the LG Netee TV at £94 and the Packard Bell PC package at £112, now comes the £450* PANASONIC TX28PL1 . Top top TV by all accounts. Flatscreen (TAU) etc etc. This TV would appear to be at least £80 cheaper than anywhere else on the Web. What's happening?? My world is turning upside down....

* Use the 10% off code 10offrep2 to get the TV at this price.
PS The TV is highlighted on the home page.
PS All prices quoted include P&P.

Got one of these myself top TV !!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom