1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Time Buyer, Needs Help!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by n0s, Jun 11, 2005.

1. n0s

n0s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok so i have browsed the forums quite a bit and have read loads, but id now like someone to look at my specific needs and suggest a prjector for me. Im looking to buy a 16:9 DLP projector mainly for DVD's, Sat TV, and DIVX movies off my computer via DVI, the room will have some light but not too much. I have looked at almost every model and narrowed it down to the Mitsubishi HC900 but i am willing to spend a little more, e.g the Optoma H79 crossed my mind. I was wondering what projector would be best for projecting a picture with a width of around 140cm with 4.5m of space from wall.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
    :)

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    hi Nos,

The H79 is currently only available in the USA, but it's 'lesser' brother the H78 is available over here for £3,495 or less.

The H78 will project an image of 55ins wide from approx 10ft (3m) away. It will be bright enough to give you tv levels of reflectance from the screen so should work reasonably well if you have a little light in the room that isn't falling directly on the screen. A grey screen will help with black level and improve apparent contrast.

I'll look at the HC900 when I've got some more info.

Will you be viewing at night or with total light control?

Gary.