1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First time buyer needs help with Plasma choice

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by theirishman, Jul 10, 2005.

1. theirishman

theirishman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All,

I am new to these forums and have been looking at the vast amount of posts on this forum for answers to my question - have read allot of posts mostly all very informative.... but still essentially have the same open questions. I also appoligise in advance for the long post just trying to get my point accross so I can get the best possible answers.

I am about to buy a home cinema setup for the first time, excited and terrified in the same breath as I am always a little worried that my choices are not the correct ones ;)

Now the speakers, receiver, dvd player have been choosen with the help for a great AV dealer in my town in Germany ( am an Irishman living in Germany ) so finding a good AV ship where they speak English is hard....

Anyway the only sticking point in my setup is now the TV ( preferably plasma 42" ) - although the AV shop which helped with the DVD, speaker and receiver setup is great it has no plasma's or LCD's to view just projectors which I am not interested in. This is where I hope you guys can help.

I am looking at 42" plasmas and will be watching DVD, Sky Digital ( not a very strong signal being in Germany ) and terrestrial TV. Football is very important to me so sky sports premership coverage is watched every week during the season and I need a plasma which will not disappoint displaying this.

I have been looking at the Panasonic and Pioneer plasmas and am liking both but am open to any suggestions which will meet my requirments.

Price is not a great concern to me although a good price to performance ratio would be nice.

So thats it - any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Des

2. lois_must_die

lois_must_die

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I too am a newbie and I thought rather than start another post echoing what the gentleman above has said, I'd just add mine to the end.
    I have a budget of £1500.00 only and I'd like a 42" Plasma. At the moment I'm thinking the TH42PE50WAL model (Panasonic) as I've found one for within my budget (by about 1p). Is this any good or are there any better out there for the money?

Thanks in advance

Dave

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Panny is for my money the best for your budget be check the Plasma FAQ at the top of this forum especially the what to buy for £2k as prices have fallen since it was written and £1800 will get you a 42" AV amp and 5.1 speakers.................PAnny screen too ideal if you sky and a DVD player (or cable/Freeview box)