First-time AV Receiver + 5.1 Speaker setup -- Total budget around £300-500

woojah

Standard Member
Hi all,

I am looking to build a 5.1 Home Cinema setup around my Samsung 32" LCD TV (1 HDMI input). I intend to use it with an upscaling DVD player and (soon to be purchased) PS3 or XBOX 360.

I was initially intending to buy an all-in-one solution, but this forum has convinced me to go down the separates route! One thing I've realised is that it's a complicated and potentially expensive game :eek:

As this will be my first 5.1 setup, my requirements aren't that demanding and so I have set my total budget accordingly - around £300-500.

I was hoping you could advise on the following receivers and speakers that I have identified as within budget. In particular are there any I shouldn't touch or any others that I should consider?

AV Receivers
  • Yamaha RX-V361 (~£120)
  • Denon AVR-1507 (~£120)
  • Pioneer VSX-916 (~£130)
  • Pioneer VSX-1016 (~£200)
  • Sony STR-DG510 (~£150)
  • Sony STR-DG710 (~£200)

As my TV only has one HDMI input, HDMI functionality is desirable but not essential if using a separate HDMI switching box is a reasonable alternative.

I don't intend to use HD DVD or Blu-ray for now, so decoding the very latest sound formats isn't essential either.

Speakers
  • Jamo A102 HCS 5 (~£200)
  • Canton Movie 80CX (£200)
  • Canton Movie 120MX (£250)
  • Canton Movie CD102 (£290)

My requirements for speakers are that they must be compact. My benchmark for this is whether the front and centre speakers can be placed on the TV stand.

A final question is that how should I allocate my budget between the AV receiver and speakers?

Sorry for the very long post. Thanks in advance!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom