Question First-time Audio Setup & room layout

Foxwald

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been doing a bit of research for the past week to upgrade my current soundbar, an aging LG SJ4, and I am looking for a bit of advice into what is achieveable with my current room layout (I can move anything around no problem if there is a better layout possible). The room is 3.89m*4.87m. Input wise, I am using a 55XF9005 TV and PS4. I stream from Netflix/Kodi for TV/Movies. The main uses of the system is approx. 40% TV, 30% Movies, 25% gaming, 5% music streamed from Spotify.

Current Room Layout with current LG SJ4 soundbar:
0.) Current.PNG

I have been looking into either getting a much better soundbar (Q80R/Q90R) or, preferably, to start buying a 5.1 system. If I bought a soundbar then the current room lay-out above would be kept.

Current Room Layout with a 5.1 system
1.) Current Sound.PNG

I have read that it is greatly beneficial for a 5.1 system to be directly in-front of the viewing position, the layout above would only be temporary until I decide whether to wall-mount the TV onto the chimney breast (with the fireplace itself removed, although anything larger than a 55inch TV would poke out both sides) or to completely remove the chimney breast itself. This would leave me with the following possible layouts.

Potential Layout with fireplace mounted TV ||||||||||| Potential Layout with chimney removed
2.) Interim Sound.PNG
3.) Final Sound.PNG

Ideally I am edging towards the 5.1 system due to the upgrade potential and I believe this would be even better when the sound system will be forward-facing. My budget for the entire system with receiver, stands, and cables is around £1400.

If a 5.1 system would be better, I have been looking at the following:
- Denon AVR-X2600H with Q Acoustics 3010i 5.1 cinema pack for £1,049.99.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Definitely the options of on the fireplace or remove the fireplace and a 5.1 system although having the surround speakers that close to the sofa won't be the best.

Depends on how much building work you want to do but the removal of the chimney breast would be best option. However this could be a job for a qualified builder as there structural issues involved. Removing it would mean you are better able to position the left and right speakers rather than having them in the alcove with the chimney in situ.

Your second best option is pretty obvious and that the TV above the fireplace. In the corner then stick with a good soundbar.

Two things to consider regarding the fireplace removal. Does the chimney breast extend to upstairs, if so it will cost quite a bit of money to do as the chimney above will need supporting.

Is the extra space you will gain by removing it worth the cost and hassle. In my case it wasn't.

Two things to consider regarding the fireplace removal. Does the chimney breast extend to upstairs, if so it will cost quite a bit of money to do as the chimney above will need supporting.

Is the extra space you will gain by removing it worth the cost and hassle. In my case it wasn't.
I took a fireplace out, modern house so no chimney as it had a balanced flue. Could not have accommodated a TV central to the room otherwise. You are right though, the cost may be prohibitive because of the structural work involved and it will require the use of a competent builder. Luckily for me I had it done on mate's rates and the only major interior work was skimming the wall and bricking up the flue opening.

Best thing I ever did, although the wife might have a different view.

Thanks for your replies!

I've had a look around and decided to head for the middle ground and keep the chimney breast and wall mount the TV. I've mocked up an extremely quick before and after with what I am aiming for.

I have also decided on the following system:
- Denon AVR-X2600H with Dali Spektor 2 5.1 speaker pack for £1,059. For an increase of £10 these seem to be a much better speaker set-up than the QAcoustics 3010i.

Before
HOME.jpg

After
HOME (Test).jpg

Attachments

• HOME (Test).jpg
    HOME (Test).jpg
    296 KB · Views: 68
I know it's only a mock up, but make sure you centre speaker is on or as close to the same level as the front L & R. Tilt it up slightly to aim towards the main listening position.

@Foxwald if possible get 60cm speaker stands (can be any brand which has large enough top plate, AVO has Fisual stands for 50£/pair) for the main Spektor 2s so you can bring them little bit forward from the wall. I would wish to see them more apart each other so the LCR is not squeezed together and keep in mind that Dali recommends that you don´t toe in the speakers. Keep them shooting straight ahead! @Damp Squid already mentioned the center channel position which is VERY important!!

Subwoofer placement is also critical and the center position could be very "bass light". Dali like most manufacturers recommends corner placement so try it out in few spots rather than just throwing where it looks best!

Those Spektor 2 are bit too large for "rears" being so close to listener. If you were thinking of wall mounting then perhaps Spektor 1 mounted higher or Alteco C1 sideways like below but higher cause you don´t have height channels. Most dealers will let you swap the speakers no worries!

Dali-Alteco-Niek-2-600x337@2x.jpg

Dali-Alteco-Niek-1-600x337@2x.jpg

I know it's been mentioned but don't put your centre on the floor, you have to lock that speaker to the screen. You would be better off running a phantom centre in a 4.1 base set up rather than have it there.

Thanks all for the great advice, I've taken it all onboard!

My only initial quarm about the Dali 5.1 bundle was the size of the Spektor 2 for use on the back wall - I have had a look at the Alteco's and read the whitepaper (which I've attached as I've found it an interesting read) and they seem perfect for what I need! I'll give the company a call on Monday and see about replacing them in the bundle.

Attachments

• Alteco C-1.pdf
    6.5 MB · Views: 117
Front LCR - if you retain the chimney breast I would try and ensure the front of the Front LR are in line with the front of the chimney breast to avoid 'refections' from the side of the chimney, that could mean Floorstanding speakers or longer than normal wall brackets!

Front LR - with your seating being straight on and relatively 'narrow' you could go without a Centre Speaker and let the AVR mix the Centre Channel into the Front LR.

Front LCR Speakerbar - if you raise the TV a little you could go with a wall mounted Speakerbar on the Chimney Breast.

Surrounds - personally I would not install them and instead put all of my budget into a 3.1, 2.1 or 2.0 system as the surround placement is too compromised.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom