First time Atmos set up advice required..

markb1980

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have Denon AVR X2200 and the Q-Acoustics 7000i 5.1 Speaker package currently and I would like to upgrade to accommodate Atmos. I am not able to go for in ceiling speakers nor upward firing Atmos speakers which I know are the ideal scenarios but I have read about having height speakers above the the front and left speakers close to the ceiling? I have looked at the Cambridge Audio Minx 12 mini to do this as I have read good things about these

Would this work with my current set up ok and the placement as per the picture below with them slightly angled down to the MLP?

Also how would I set the Denon up for this? Do the front heights get wired into the left and right surround back on this Amp? And how do I set it up when I run the calibration via Audyssey to ensure the Minx 12’s are used for Atmos?

Many thanks

85C82F4F-9D38-4C89-A307-AB72D725FFA1.jpeg

Any advice on whether this should work all ok? I have ordered the Minx Min 12’s with the wall brackets so I hope so 🙈 @dante01 maybe you could advise due to having these as front heights?

It's where I have my atmos speakers. It's an option on the set up on my yam amp. Its probably on your denon too

Attachments

• 16070184475979107489441823000434.jpg
    16070184475979107489441823000434.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 100
I’m no expert but if you connect front heights to the rear surround on your amp then the sound that comes out of them is rear surround sound, not front height sound.

Does your amp have height channel connections for speakers? If not then the amp won’t give you height channel sound.

just out of interest, I’m considering getting some Q Acoustic 7000i speakers to use as height speakers, can you tell me the height of the speaker when wall mounted, the only dimensions I can find for them is with the bracket underneath them rather than behind them.

I’m no expert but if you connect front heights to the rear surround on your amp then the sound that comes out of them is rear surround sound, not front height sound.

Does your amp have height channel connections for speakers? If not then the amp won’t give you height channel sound.

just out of interest, I’m considering getting some Q Acoustic 7000i speakers to use as height speakers, can you tell me the height of the speaker when wall mounted, the only dimensions I can find for them is with the bracket underneath them rather than behind them.

According to the manual it states to plug them to the surround back? What I am not sure of is how the AVR will determine its a set up for Atmos using front heights for the Atmos effects?
The height of the 7000i speaker on the wall is approx 21.5cm.
E3916370-BB49-4FD9-A616-6FC206E68259.png

According to the manual it states to plug them to the surround back? What I am not sure of is how the AVR will determine its a set up for Atmos using front heights for the Atmos effects?
The height of the 7000i speaker on the wall is approx 21.5cm.
View attachment 1415653

On my Denon there is an Amp Assign setting which has various speaker configurations. I would go through the manual or give Denon a call.
Don't wish to burst your bubble but this is not near Dolby Atmos.
I understand what you are trying to do, using front heights instead of rear surrounds.
D Atmos really needs speakers on the ceiling to get the full effect which makes a good difference.
With your positioning you may need to increase the audio level of the front heights by 2 - 6db's, as the sensitivity is a low 86db on the Minx speakers and similar at 85db on the Q acoustics. So play around with this when you are set up.
The Minx are very nice small cubes, I would really try to put them on the ceiling (white ones)
Is your Denon set up at 6ohms or 8ohms? Not sure if you can change this, again it will say so in the manual.

Good luck

Yep, like tiger says, it’ll be in your speaker configuration on the receiver

On my Denon there is an Amp Assign setting which has various speaker configurations. I would go through the manual or give Denon a call.
Don't wish to burst your bubble but this is not near Dolby Atmos.
I understand what you are trying to do, using front heights instead of rear surrounds.
D Atmos really needs speakers on the ceiling to get the full effect which makes a good difference.
With your positioning you may need to increase the audio level of the front heights by 2 - 6db's, as the sensitivity is a low 86db on the Minx speakers and similar at 85db on the Q acoustics. So play around with this when you are set up.
The Minx are very nice small cubes, I would really try to put them on the ceiling (white ones)
Is your Denon set up at 6ohms or 8ohms? Not sure if you can change this, again it will say so in the manual.

Good luck

I will still have surrounds which sit just behind me. I have read that doing what I am suggesting is approved by Dolby for Atmos?

I have those same settings where I can amp assign to front heights for this arrangement. My AVR is set to 8ohms which I assume is what it should be set too?

I will still have surrounds which sit just behind me. I have read that doing what I am suggesting is approved by Dolby for Atmos?

I have those same settings where I can amp assign to front heights for this arrangement. My AVR is set to 8ohms which I assume is what it should be set too?

I'm sure dolby do approve this set up for Atmos, they have to really as many can't put speakers in the ceiling if renting for example or don't want holes in the ceiling and then figure out what to do with the wires. Otherwise it's very limited. The sound effect however is quite different. I'm sure many would see my setup as ugly or too much going on and too many large speakers but it sounds amazing and much better than up-firing or on wall down firing which is the point of Atmos. I don't look at what it looks like, more how it sounds which is the point. When you are set up, try watching a movie you have seen / heard on your system and on a dolby atmos with 4 ceiling heights and rear surrounds (7.1.4), there is a fair difference. I'm not trying to put you off though. Helicopters and other height sound effects are quite different.

Looking at the specs of the Q- acoustics I would set the amp at 6 ohms. Also the C.A minx speakers will handle 6ohms easy as heights from your amp. You may just need to turn the volume down a touch from your usual level. I would expect better sound from the sub at lower volumes.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom