First Time 5.1 Setup for Living Room

NotJackieChan

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was hoping I could get some advice and tips on my plan for my first home theatre set up.
I've caught the bug after getting an LG C9 and Sonos 4.0 system and felt like I needed a better sound system to enjoy it properly.

The room is rectangular with approximate dimensions of 6m x 4m. The TV is in the middle of the 6m wall with the main listening position on the opposite wall.

I have chosen to go with the Denon AVR-X3600H accompanied by Oberon 5 5.1 setup - I was able to get down to my local richer sounds and try this out and am happy with the performance of the setup. (I was considering going for Q-acoustics or waiting for the new Monitor Bronze but decided that Dali's aesthetics and sound are more to my taste)
This also allows me to expand in the future to a 7.1, 5.1.2, or 5.1.4 setup using either the Dali alteco or the oberon on-wall speakers.

I've found a good deal for the speaker and AV receiver which also comes with a QED cable package. 30m QED Micro, 2 HDMI cables and a Subwoofer cable.

Any advice or suggestions for the setup would be greatly appreciated.

A few specific questions:
1. How hard would it be to expand the set up at a later date - financially it is pretty much the same
2. My rear surrounds will have a 9m and 13m (around a door frame) cable run - will this be a problem?
3. I already have a cabinet which I'm very happy with from costco - the slot for the av receiver is open but has a width of 450mm (the denon is a beast at 434mm). It has plenty of ventilation at the top and again is completely open. Will this pose an issue?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice - Looking forward to hunkering down with some good movies and TV during this crisis.

Hi,
1, Hard would only be if you are burying the cables in the wall otherwise just run the cables when you need to.
2, won't make any difference, the amp will compensate when you do the set up.
3, It does get warm at the top but if the cabinet is open at the front and rear then it won't be an issue. I have a USB fan on mine but it is in a slightly confined space, that said I forget to switch it on quite often and don't run into problems. You can fit them to the USB socket so it comes on with the amp, but I doubt you will need it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom