1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

first thoughts on new BK sub

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by themoid, Dec 1, 2004.

1. themoid

themoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi all,

Firstly many thanks for all the info and contributions in the forum that guided me to getting a BK XL200-DF in a very nice cherry finish (my first sub).

Got the sub yesterday, havent had time to position it properly yet, but after a few hours listening thoughts are:

Music - played some tunes with the sub on and to be honest couldn't see what difference it was making. Turned the sub off and played the same tunes, and OK, now I see the difference :thumbsup: What have i been missing all this time - Seven Nation Army sounded more driving and rocking than usual, fantastic. And tried it with some classical - the bass on Toccata and Fugue had the floor rocking very nicely !!

Films - played the first five minutes of Fellowship of the Ring. I was cautious with the volume and the sub levels, but oh my god, I could feel the armies marching through the lounge, and when Sauron fell the bass was fantastic - as good as I hoped it would be. My wife was upstairs and thought we had more lorries than usual going past the house - result !

Have to play with more films tonight, and looking forward to watching all my DVDs again :)

Have a few questions though if anyone could help:
    1. Should I replace the leads that came with the sub ?
    2. Should I isolate the sub ?
    3. Can anyone point me to a plain english explanation of the controls on the sub (phase, etc) without heading into physics / acoustics territory ? Or maybe I need to make more effort in this direction !?

Anyway, cheers again,

Stu

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Glad you're pleased with it. :thumbsup:

I'd recommend replacing the leads, replacing the interconnect increased the sensitivity and replacing the mains cable lowered the noise floor a little. Both were DIY jobs and very easy. Depends if those benefits are worth the outlay to you, I havn't found a cable that effects the "speed" or "sound" of a sub otherwise though.

How do you mean isolate the sub? It should have a solid connection to the floor so it doesn't rock. We want the driver to move, not the cabinet!

With respect to the controls there's not a huge amount to it unless you're interested in having a flat response curve etc in which case more reading into the physics will be necessary (it's not hard but takes a little while). Follow these tips and you'll be on the right track:

Set the phase to 0deg and the crossover to "off". Now adjust the gain using the test tones in your amp as described in its manual (ideally using an SPL meter for best results but can be an expensive toy for the amount of use it gets). Once you're happy with this try setting the crossover to ~100Hz, 80Hz, 60Hz, 40Hz and see which you prefer (including the Off position). Leave the phase as it is, you can play if you like but you'll notice that it really doesn't make much difference - you certainly couldn't quantify an improvement with just your ears. :)

Depending on your AV amp, the best option IMO is to set the crossover off and then adjust the bass management settings on the amp to suit. With my old Denon 1802 receiver (which had rubbish bass management) I had the sub crossover at ~60Hz whilst with my new Marantz 7400 I've bypassed the sub crossover and adjusted the settings on the amp.

3. themoid

themoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    thanks for the thoughts eviljohn.

I'll follow the steps for the sub settings as you say and see what we get :)

By 'isolating' it I meant putting it on a concrete slab or 'proper' (ie bought)base, as I've read in a few posts - just wasn't sure what effect this would have.

Cheers

Stu

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    OK, my "isolation" is a plank of wood on the floor with doorstops on top. The BK rests directly on the doorstops (although mine's forward firing). I'm not sure how well this works but it's practical for me at the moment.

As I mentioned, the important thing IMO is for the sub to be stable, people have had good results using stone blocks, tiles or Auralex Gramma platforms though. If DIY's your thing then there's a few people on here who've written threads about it, a search should throw them up.

The main thing is that nobody can say what the best setup is without them coming over and fiddling with the dials themselves! You'll just have to trust your own hearing and instincts :)

5. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    What sort of floor do you have? Suspended or solid?

6. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    themoid, got any pics of the new baby yet? :)

7. themoid

themoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Its a solid floor Avanzato.

And eviljohn, I think there is a tendency when you don't have a deal of experience with something to rely on others to tell you what the 'right' set-up is for it. It's a good point that its only me (and my wife) who can tell when we are happy with the sound. I was just looking for some basic info which you have provided, which I can now go away and play with.

TA :thumbsup:

8. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    With a solid floor you don't need to isolate the sub, just as eviljohn says make sure it's securely spiked down with no wobble. Setting up by ear has always given me good results, when you have it correct the sound will just sound 'right' with whatever you play. So don't be afraid to fiddle with the subs settings for days or weeks untill you are happy. :thumbsup: