1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

first they work then they don't!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by bertha, Dec 24, 2001.

1. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I have 2 films in my collection that used to play fine Galaxy Quest (R1) & The Road to Eldorado (R1) - the kids films you understand..now they don't my Wharfey just freezes up when I put them in I've tried all sorts of combinations to try & get them to work but no joy..they work fine on my mates Sony..I've been thinking of upgrading anyway but is there any reason why they should decide not to work? I've given them a clean as well but no good..Any shared experiences welcome...cheers

2. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    dirty heads or dirty discs

3. European

European

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "dirty heads"

...ahh... dirty heads...?... (we ain't talkin' VCRs, y'know!)...

. . . :confused: . . .

4. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    the discs have been cleaned and the dvd uses a laser I'm sure (it's a little light bulb that blinks) - so I'm still nun the wiser but cheers for the suggestion;)

Anyone else any suggestions or do you think this could be a massive conspiracy to make everyone rebuy their films after a while...or is it just my players just not that great...?

cheers

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I guess dirty head here means dirty lens through which the laser focuses on the disc.
    You can clean it with a cotton-bud (Q-tip) and some isopropanol, but be sure not to scratch it, they are usually made from plastic.

You may try a special disc to clean the lens first if you do not want to open the player, should be available from your dealer or department stores.

6. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have any experience of using laser lens cleaning disks? I've seen them advertised for about £10, but I kinda struggle with how a non-contact/fluid cleaning system would actually work on a lens - I'm prepared to be dazzled by your technical explanation however, or failing that some practical experience of it's effectiveness!
    I've got a rather old DVD player that seems to be getting a bit picky - freezing, long layer changing etc and if a £10 disk would help I'll try it.
    Failing that it might be a good excuse to make that upgrade I've been considering!

Simon

7. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    thanks for that...I'd be interested to hear if anyone has successfully used one of the cleanser discs too..I'm not too confident at technical stuff....

cheer for now

8. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    All a cd/dvd cleaner disc is, is a normal disc with some info on so the head tracks across it, with a stuck on fine brush to clean the head as it spins over it.

Nothing hi teck at all, but I think a carefully applied cotton bud with correct cleaner on is a safer solution to a dirty head, with no risk of scratching or mechanical damage involved. Unfortunately this probably means opening the case,mine for example has a seal across the joint with "warranty void if opened" written on it.