First surround system, so a few noobish questions

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by suiauthon, Nov 27, 2010.

1. suiauthon

suiauthon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking at fitting a surround sound system to my bedroom. I already have a TV I am very happy with (LG 32LH3000 if it matters) and a Blu-Ray player I like (LG BD370) and figure I may as well add that final bit.

I am not made of money, and its only a small room really (but not tiny) so I am looking at budget(ish) stuff. Looking around on the interwebs and the Onkyo TXSR508 paired with Tanoy or Q-Aqustics speakers seems to be a popular choice. Seems to cost a little more than I originally wanted to spend, but since its xmass I am getting plenty of overtime lol.

Just a few questions really. I am assuming the receiver knows how to do everything on its own? I mean, if I play my 360 for a bit it knows what "format" (for want of a better term) the sound is in, and then when I switch to blu-ray it, again will sort itself out? I see it has different modes (game, movie etc) like my TV, so I guess I can fiddle presets like I can with that.

The receiver is listed on Richer Sounds as 7.1, can I still use a 5.1 speaker package with it? And if I do, and want to upgrade later, can I just add the extra 2 speakers easily? Putting them in the right place of course.

Lastly is there any other receivers/speakers I should be looking at? Within the same price range as the above. I don't get the whole thing about what speakers go well with what receivers, so I just plan on getting some advice then bugging my local store and hope they let me have a listen :smashin:

Sorry for the wall of text lol

2. Passingbat

Passingbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,331
    Do you need 3D TV? If not you can get some bargains from the non 3D amps.

This Sony sold for £500+ originally. It is a well regarded amp and can be had for £250

Sony STR-DA2400ESB 7.1 Channel AV Receiver in Black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

If you add the QA 1010i 5.1 set for £300 from superfi, you have a system that originally cost £1000 for £550.

Q ACOUSTICS 1010i 5.1 SPEAKER PACKAGE - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/3676 for details

A 7.1 amp is fine for 5.1 speakers and this setup will do everything you want if you don't need 3D.

Richer Sounds have the QAs for £250, but not in every store, but you could try them.

3. suiauthon

suiauthon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nah, 3d isn't an issue at all. Not in my bedroom at least. When I get back in my own place I may get a giant 3d screen, but I would get a separate receiver and speakers for that anyway. Only thing I don't like about that Sony is the back of it scares the bejeesus out of me! lol.

4. Passingbat

Passingbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,331
    They all will then! :D

don't worry, they look complicated, but they aren't. They're just the connections for the various inputs and the connections for five speakers plus sub.

The manuals will explain how to connect up all your equipment and there are user threads for just about every amp, and users will gladly help out. The Sony 2400ES has a long thread because it was always a popular amp and at £250, it's extreemly popular.

It is a higher level amp than the Onkyo you mention and is the same quality level as the Onkyo 608, which sells for £450 (except for 3D on the 608).

5. suiauthon

suiauthon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to necro a thread but ...

It has just come time to order (wanted it much earlier but things came up) and the darn reciever has doubled in price :( £500 is my budget for the whole thing, never mind just the reciever lol