First Surround System - HDMI Bypass Help reqd

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by simonpopp, Dec 22, 2011.

1. simonpopp

simonpopp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

New person here - I have just purchased my first Home Cinema (Sony BDVEF200CEK) as I wanted a Blu Ray surround system for my lounge.
    Anyway, it arrived yesterday and I set it up fine.
    Only problem is when I put it into standby it doesn't let the signal pass through for normal (non-surround) viewing to the TV (Sony KDL40W2000), I didn't even think about anything like that before I bought, my wife isn't into all that and would prefer to just watch normally with the normal remotes etc.
    Sooooo, am I right in thinking I could place a HDMI switcher between my SKY HD box and the BDVEF200 which is then connected to both the TV and then BDVEF200? Would it automatically switch when I put the BDVEF200 in standby????
    If not do I have any other options or will I have to change the leads manually?
    Thanks in advance for any advance or abuse

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,126
    You could simply connect the SKY box to the TV via HDMI for video and 2 channel sound while connecting it to your audio system via optical for Dolby Digital and 5.1 audio. The SKY box only outputs DD 5.1 via optical anyway so you only need to connect the optical to the BDVEF200CEK to get DD 5.1. The HDMI will still carry stereo and video to the TV when not using the BDVEF200CEK. You simply need to mute or disable the TV while using the BDVEF200CEK for surround sound duties.

3. simonpopp

simonpopp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help.
    So I could connect the SKY to HDMI1 on TV direct, BDVEF200 to HDMI2 on tv Direct, and and optical cable from Sky to BDVEF? So I have no HDMI IN connections on my surround?
    Is this correct? If so I need to buy an optical cable, can you tell me which type? (like I said I am new to this)

Thanks again