1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First success but transition didnt work just the once ?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Merlin, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Merlin

Merlin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My first project with Premiere 6.5 is done and generally successful and a big thank you to help from MarkE19, Roy mallard et al for getting me on the rails quickly, though one of the transitions (used standard cross fade throughout of 5 secs duration) didnt happen when encoded by MainConcept standalone prog 1.4.2, it fades out to black video ok as do others but the fade into next scene just saw it appear, no fade, and jitter a little over the frames that should have seen the fade, why was that ? I shall re-encode it with time now on my side both through MainConcept and Ulead having got demo of the latter. I also noticed a comb tooth effect on moving edges during premiere whilst editing (once) and during playing the rendered file (cant remember in which prog), but all ok on DVD.... though there is a slight narrow halo around moving objects, is this common ? Not sure if its on the original so I shall play the tape again when I have got time and check.
    I would though like to know what abberations are normal having made a DVD PAL choice in encoding, still I see MPEG2 PAL or DVD PAL and not sure what difference is though advanced settings show 8000 bitrate and qlty 39 versus 6000 qlty 36 for MPEG2 so loks like DVD PAL a better preset....Am I barking up the right tree on this ? I was told for DVD I need MPEG2 but see DVD PAL offered in initial window and MPEG2 as another choice in advanced dropdown list in MC encoder both within Premiere and now also the standalone prog.

Does anyone film a test chart to check lens quality and encoding quality, is there such a chart downloadable somewhere to print off ? Perhaps as an avi to encode and test encoders, of course a printable one is static but a download test footage avi might be an idea ?

Merlin

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This comb tooth effect occurs because a camcorder records two fields as part of one frame, and plays these fields seqentially, a computer monitor plays both these fields similtanously (a tv set is interlaced like your camera, a computer monitor is progressive or single scan).

Between each field being recorded typically 1/50th of a second may have elapsed (depending on your shutter speed), so the subject may be in a differect position within the frame on each field (it's really obvious with fast moving subjects) so when you see these two fields combined at once you are basically seeing two images at once. One image is formed by the odd lines, one image is formed by the even lines, so any disparity between the two is usually manifested as thin horzontal lines.

Because your tv set only ever shows one field at a time, you never see this effect. It was devised to a) assist the fluid motion effect and b) to reduce the bandwith for broadcast, half a field requires only half the information.

If you create an MPEG2 disc it will be a data disc, and as such will probably only paly through a pc or mac using something like quicktime or windows media player.

If you create DVD PAL disc then it will have the abiulity to be played on a DVD player, although the codec is the same the way the disc is recognised is diffferent.

The highe rthe bitrate the better the quality, but the less space on the disc.
    I've found that some older players won't look at 8000kbps home burned discs, 6000kbps gives more compatibility with hardly any visible reduction in quality.
    PM me and I'll email you a resolution / test chart. AVI at DV PAL format should be as good as the (PAL) capture device.

Halo effect may be down to 'fringing', are the halos coloured?. Were the affected shots recorded towards the far end of the zoom?. Lenses can suffer chromatic abberation at the far end of the lens, where refraction can effect, particularly reds and greens.

Apocromatic and Flourite lenses can avoid this, and good quality prime lenses pretty much eliminate it.

Otherwise lay off the zoom.

3. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was the transition ok on Premiere?. If you've placed a transition right on the end of a source material clip then there is nothing for the transtion to dissolve in from. You might ned to trim the video of your clip by a couple of seconds to give the transition enough of a 'handle' to work with.