First subwoofer build - advice needed!

Dubtings

Standard Member
Reaction score
My first post on the forums but i've been browsing frequently and decided to try and get advice from you guys.

I have a little bedroom setup at uni (for music, not movies) with 2 100W RMS floorstanders (completely forgot the model and im not up there at the moment). Theyre 3-way with a 12" bass driver and give very good mid range but arn't cutting it for low frequencies.
I seem to remember the graph on them shows the level seriously dropping at around 60hz.

Anyway ive been looking for an active sub for a while to go with this, especially since ill be moving into a much bigger room next year.

My budget isnt much being a student .. roughly £200-300
I wondered whether it is worth me building it for this price range? what drivers would you advise?
As i said it will be quite a big room so after having a little look into designs (Audio Innovation - by Dan Marx www.danmarx.org) i decided i should probably go for a bass reflex design..?

Two problems are that i wouldn't be amazing at building the box, (my brother has been doing a carpentry course for a while now thou) and i have no idea about calculating the size of the box/port so need help in this respect!

Thanks,
Jake

Last edited:
Hi, we can help with calculations, but in all honesty I dont think you could build something better than one of the BK offerings within your budget.

Have you had a look at those?

right, so at what kind of budget does it become beneficial to do a DIY build? I think i would enjoy doing it..
and, do you mean these:
Gemini ?

benefits at about £400+ i would say.

depending on design goals.

I'd agree, but reckon £500 is the baseline figure, given the existence of the Monolith. If you have £300 to spend then look at the XLS-200, or 300pr if you can push to it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom