First subwoofer advice on my old setup (Monolith 10" sub)

This is SVS repsonse.

Thinking he got my amp mixed up??

"
Hi Adam -

You have XT32, so follow the subwoofer level matching step at the beginning of running Audyssey and it will play a rumble tone and display an SPL meter on the screen. Adjust the subwoofer volume until the SPL meter reads 75 dB. Then the AVR sub channel level after Audyssey runs will be at/near 0 dB.

After Audyssey runs, make sure all speakers are set to Small and there are no crossovers deeper than 60 Hz. From your screen shots the fronts need to change - so go small/60 Hz on those. If the other channels are already set to Small/60 Hz or higher, then leave them 'as is'.

The subwoofer mode should be changed to LFE and the LPF/LFE should be set to 120 Hz.

Under Audio/Audyssey, leave XT32 set to Reference, leave Dynamic EQ enabled, and disable Dynamic Volume.

After you make these changes, if you need more output from the subwoofer channel, then use the app to slowly increase the subwoofer volume. Increasing 2-3 dB over the XT32 level match is typical/common. Avoid running the sub more than 4 dB hotter than the level match, as this will consume available dynamic headroom and increase the potential to drive the subwoofer into compression on demanding passages.

Regarding the buzzing sound you referenced below - your link is broken - please send it again and I'll have a listen.

Thanks and looking forward to your reply.
Best regards,"
Sound advice, the only bit you can't do is the on screen level adjustment. None of it will fix the hum though.

This is SVS repsonse.

Thinking he got my amp mixed up??

"
Hi Adam -

You have XT32, so follow the subwoofer level matching step at the beginning of running Audyssey and it will play a rumble tone and display an SPL meter on the screen. Adjust the subwoofer volume until the SPL meter reads 75 dB. Then the AVR sub channel level after Audyssey runs will be at/near 0 dB.

After Audyssey runs, make sure all speakers are set to Small and there are no crossovers deeper than 60 Hz. From your screen shots the fronts need to change - so go small/60 Hz on those. If the other channels are already set to Small/60 Hz or higher, then leave them 'as is'.

The subwoofer mode should be changed to LFE and the LPF/LFE should be set to 120 Hz.

Under Audio/Audyssey, leave XT32 set to Reference, leave Dynamic EQ enabled, and disable Dynamic Volume.

After you make these changes, if you need more output from the subwoofer channel, then use the app to slowly increase the subwoofer volume. Increasing 2-3 dB over the XT32 level match is typical/common. Avoid running the sub more than 4 dB hotter than the level match, as this will consume available dynamic headroom and increase the potential to drive the subwoofer into compression on demanding passages.

Regarding the buzzing sound you referenced below - your link is broken - please send it again and I'll have a listen.

Thanks and looking forward to your reply.
Best regards,"

This reply talked everything else but the issue itself and yeah he mixed your receiver too.

Not sure why they advise setting your LCR 60hz over 80hz.

Reference does high frequency roll off and adds the 3kHz bbc dip. I would lean more toward the Flat target curve, but your call. With the Dynamic EQ enabled surround channels may play too loud, this is personal preference some love this feature some don´t.

There is no need to run again the setup just to get 0db for the sub, if you have subwoofer level now on negative trim side example -4db that is perfectly fine and safe. You can use the Denon menu to reduce this figure by ~3db if require more oomph.

Hello guys sorry for the lack or updates, still having the buzzing issues with the SUB, to the point ive had to really drop the -db to make it stop and thus effecting the performance.

If i set it to -20db in the SVS app i dont get any but take it up a few to -15db and its very noticeable i tried it out on 0db and its very over powering.

I tried my cable in the other outputs and its still the same, ive ordered a second sheilded cable to try that out 2mrw when it lands.

The cable i have is 10-15 years old and is around 3m long but i only need a very short cable so ive ordered that to rule out the cable, the extra long cable could be a factor.

It could be the sub but dont wanna jump a gun just yet.

If i set it to -20db in the SVS app i dont get any but take it up a few to -15db and its very noticeable i tried it out on 0db and its very over powering.
Hi.

Leave the sub volume in the SVS app set to -20dB. - make sure you save the level by clicking the "Save to preset" Then rerun Audessey (just do basic 3 mi position).

After Audessey - Do not change any setting on the sub

In the AVR - Do the following:

1. Set all speakers to "small"
2. Set speaker crossover to 80Hz (this can be adjusted later).
3. Set the LPF/LFE to 120Hz
4. Check (and post back the subwoofers volume trim level in the AVR). It should be between -4dB to -8dB post Audessey

If the bass is too boomy, reduce this level in the AVR not SVS app. Likewise increase it in the AVR.

For reference I use dual SB2000 Pro's with a denon 4500H. My subs are set to -24dB in the SVS app. Audessey then sets a sub level in the AVR of -7.5dB, which I then increase to -5.5dB (for more bass). The SVS app level remains at -24dB (which is actually a lower base level than yours).

Hi.

Leave the sub volume in the SVS app set to -20dB. - make sure you save the level by clicking the "Save to preset" Then rerun Audessey (just do basic 3 mi position).

After Audessey - Do not change any setting on the sub

In the AVR - Do the following:

1. Set all speakers to "small"
2. Set speaker crossover to 80Hz (this can be adjusted later).
3. Set the LPF/LFE to 120Hz
4. Check (and post back the subwoofers volume trim level in the AVR). It should be between -4dB to -8dB post Audessey

If the bass is too boomy, reduce this level in the AVR not SVS app. Likewise increase it in the AVR.

For reference I use dual SB2000 Pro's with a denon 4500H. My subs are set to -24dB in the SVS app. Audessey then sets a sub level in the AVR of -7.5dB, which I then increase to -5.5dB (for more bass). The SVS app level remains at -24dB (which is actually a lower base level than yours).

You guys prob aint gonna believe this as i couldn't myself but the new cable actually did fix the problem.

Feel the cable i had was not doing the sub any justice at all, it was not just horrendous buzzing but providing little to no bass.

Bass is so powerful now so ive had to drop it to -20 anyways ha, im gonna rerun the setup this weekend and feel it will be interesting results.

You guys prob aint gonna believe this as i couldn't myself but the new cable actually did fix the problem.

Feel the cable i had was not doing the sub any justice at all, it was not just horrendous buzzing but providing little to no bass.

Bass is so powerful now so ive had to drop it to -20 anyways ha, im gonna rerun the setup this weekend and feel it will be interesting results.
So glad you've made some progress 👌

Make sure you follow the steps I outlined in my post #54 - when you recalibrate etc. Let us know how it goes too!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom