First subwoofer advice on my old setup (Monolith 10" sub)

adamg64

Established Member
Reaction score
Afternoon people look for advice on adding a subwoofer for the first time for my setup please.

My system is around 10-12 years old on the speakers and 5-6 on the amp after ive had a couple of onkyo's die so i went for a denon.

I built my home setup bit by bit all them years ago and started out with just the two front floor standers i found these generated enough bass, come to my attention that that im really missing out and several people have point out that im taxing the AVR more, and missing out of a lot of sound and my system will sound worse without it.

Current setup is a Denon AVRX2200W and Tannoy 5.0 speaker setup (No sub) consisting of
Two Front Floorstanders (Find these generate enough bass for the room) currently.
Centre speaker & two bookshelf's rear.

So im looking for recommendations for a sub, ive been told that i should get a "Monolith 10" Sub THX" and i should consider anything else.

Do we have any monolith owners and would you recommend? any alternatives please?

The mono is a little stunner, but need a few answers first to see it fits your needs.

What size room are you using it in?
What are you listening to?
Movie use / Music use - Or what kind of split.

The mono is a little stunner, but need a few answers first to see it fits your needs.

What size room are you using it in?
What are you listening to?
Movie use / Music use - Or what kind of split.

Opps that will help sorry.

L465cm x W380cm H230

its also partily open plan

Its mainly going to be for movies , tv and streaming services and abit of gaming.

occasionally music but very rare tbh.

old TV in this pic as ive yet to setup my C1

Attachments

• IMG_1240.jpg
    IMG_1240.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1241.jpg
    IMG_1241.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
I would question do you have plans/option to add 2nd 10 THX or are you limited to just one sub?
Where exactly you can place the sub as your room is really full of "stuff" and the placement alone can make night and day difference?!

If you are limited to just one sub and looking for long term purchase i would strongly consider the Mono 12 cause the price difference is so small. Chris would likely give you some further discount from it. Let´s say roughly 750£ and if you look the nearest competitor (SVS PB2000 Pro) it costs 1169£ so you understand why this is such a great deal!

I would question do you have plans/option to add 2nd 10 THX or are you limited to just one sub?
Where exactly you can place the sub as your room is really full of "stuff" and the placement alone can make night and day difference?!

If you are limited to just one sub and looking for long term purchase i would strongly consider the Mono 12 cause the price difference is so small. Chris would likely give you some further discount from it. Let´s say roughly 750£ and if you look the nearest competitor (SVS PB2000 Pro) it costs 1169£ so you understand why this is such a great deal!

Atm maybe not in my plans to add a second up until a few days ago i wasnt planning on buying one tbh, But just shelled out for a 77"C1 so trying not to over do it.

However i see a decent sub would prob always be in my setup going foward if anything else changes.

Never say never tho i could add a second in the future if im impressed

Might be interested in that 12” if can get a deal for sure.

Still undecided tho

Might be interested in that 12” if can get a deal for sure.

Still undecided tho

Send PM for @AmericanAudio to talk for the pricing. Chris is forum advertiser.

If you have the space for it without limiting the placement options then i wouldn´t really hesitate with the 12" model. It`s going to drop your jaw to floor if you haven´t heard similar level sub before. I assume you have read the reviews, if not then check them out.

Also any question about the sub for owner you can PM @kbfern who just bought two 12 THX from Chris!

From the above imagine I’m going to raise the n w tv as it’s just going to overlap the floorstanders sadly. Move the entertainment unit to the side slightly and have it between the speaker and unit.

I am worried about the sub being too bassy and loud tho why I’ve been looking at getting one or never had one.

Have little ones and an 8 year old, keep thinking when I’m having a lazy Sunday and she sticks SpongeBob on Netflix she’s gonna blow the house away 🤣

From the above imagine I’m going to raise the n w tv as it’s just going to overlap the floorstanders sadly. Move the entertainment unit to the side slightly and have it between the speaker and unit.

I am worried about the sub being too bassy and loud tho why I’ve been looking at getting one or never had one.

Have little ones and an 8 year old, keep thinking when I’m having a lazy Sunday and she sticks SpongeBob on Netflix she’s gonna blow the house away 🤣

It can´t be too bassy as you are in full control how loud it plays. You are going to run Audussey setup with the mic and set the levels for speakers and sub (test tones) plus it measures the distance which is basically delay. Then it does some form of eq to flatten some peaks hopefully so it won´t sound boomy. After you have run the setup the sub is set quite bass light and you can always tweak the level from Denon menu while you lay on couch (subwoofer level) so you don´t need to touch knobs again and naturally keep the kids not going there touching it. :)

I always try to think the purchase as long term investment and usually with this hobby you start to crave more at some point. Sooner than you think so you want to find the "sweet spot" even if it would cost bit more now to keep you happy for the next 5-10years. Now comparing the size and price 10 vs. 12 models there is not much and the 15 THX is too large for most people (lounge) so that´s why i felt the 12 THX is so good pick. You get the same 5year warranty as with SVS and the price is really good compared to others. Only thing i would advice to do is put some marks or do cardboard mock up of the size of Mono 12 (height and depth) to show it for wife cause some women can be hysterical about big black boxes.

It can´t be too bassy as you are in full control how loud it plays. You are going to run Audussey setup with the mic and set the levels for speakers and sub (test tones) plus it measures the distance which is basically delay. Then it does some form of eq to flatten some peaks hopefully so it won´t sound boomy. After you have run the setup the sub is set quite bass light and you can always tweak the level from Denon menu while you lay on couch (subwoofer level) so you don´t need to touch knobs again and naturally keep the kids not going there touching it. :)

I always try to think the purchase as long term investment and usually with this hobby you start to crave more at some point. Sooner than you think so you want to find the "sweet spot" even if it would cost bit more now to keep you happy for the next 5-10years. Now comparing the size and price 10 vs. 12 models there is not much and the 15 THX is too large for most people (lounge) so that´s why i felt the 12 THX is so good pick. You get the same 5year warranty as with SVS and the price is really good compared to others. Only thing i would advice to do is put some marks or do cardboard mock up of the size of Mono 12 (height and depth) to show it for wife cause some women can be hysterical about big black boxes.
You know what the depth is something ive been over looking im away from home till 2mrw so i better check that and that will more than likely influence my decision.

i dont want it sticking out ahead of the unit i can pull it away from the wall a little more but still not loads to work with, not really got any other postion or room for it.

You know what the depth is something ive been over looking im away from home till 2mrw so i better check that and that will more than likely influence my decision.

i dont want it sticking out ahead of the unit i can pull it away from the wall a little more but still not loads to work with, not really got any other postion or room for it.

Both are quite deep so let`s see are they still option. Add little bit for the cables.

10 THX: 480 x 380 x 500mm (HxWxD)
12 THX: 580 x 425 x 600mm (HxWxD)

Both are quite deep so let`s see are they still option. Add little bit for the cables.

10 THX: 480 x 380 x 500mm (HxWxD)
12 THX: 580 x 425 x 600mm (HxWxD)

check ikeas website its like 15" so a little for the cables and an inch or two from the skirth/wall doesnt give me a lot to play with 17-18" at most and that me being generous too oh bloody hell.

I dont think i could get a sub as good as the monolith 10" for the price

check ikeas website its like 15" so a little for the cables and an inch or two from the skirth/wall doesnt give me a lot to play with 17-18" at most and that me being generous too oh bloody hell.

Keep an eye on Monoprice website, they have discounts quite often. The last discount knocked 22% off a Monolith 10 making it £390.

SVS PB1000 has 467mm depth, quite similar to Mono 10 THX and on sale before being discontinued.

It might be a few weeks before the 10" is back on offer at 20% off or thereabouts. Also the current V1's won't be around for too long as V2's are out now. Not much difference in performance just a bit different in looks (rounded edges and flush mounted grill) but the V2's will be more moneyso expect around £600.

For my money the sweet spot if you can't get a 10" for under £400 is the 12" from Chris at American audio for around £750.

All the sub you will ever need unless you want to bring the walls down. the 2 x 12" in my 24ft x 16ft lounge are incredible and I am only running them at around -15db master volume.

It might be a few weeks before the 10" is back on offer at 20% off or thereabouts. Also the current V1's won't be around for too long as V2's are out now. Not much difference in performance just a bit different in looks (rounded edges and flush mounted grill) but the V2's will be more moneyso expect around £600.

For my money the sweet spot if you can't get a 10" for under £400 is the 12" from Chris at American audio for around £750.

All the sub you will ever need unless you want to bring the walls down. the 2 x 12" in my 24ft x 16ft lounge are incredible and I am only running them at around -15db master volume.

Im going to double check my measurements this evening and space i have to work with heard alot about the monoprice sales and usually very good just typical its not when im looking to buy but im happy to wait a while if needs be.

Morning guys.

Ive decided and ordered a SVS SB-1000 Pro was gonna go for the PB 1000 pro but i just dont really have the space for it sadly although im starting to regret i didnt just make the space. Got a little rushed into the decision on the spot as i was offered deals on either via richer sounds.

Have a few questions if anybody can help but whats with the SVS pricing? I watched a number of you tube videos ok mostly American reviews from 6-12 months ago but every review ive watched lists the SB1000pro at $499 and the PB1000pro at $599.

Standard prices i can find are £639 and £849 so im abit baffled have prices increased in that time or has the UK market always been this price?

Have read that you connect the subs via bluetooth is that recommended? inferior connectivity/performance?

Morning guys.

Ive decided and ordered a SVS SB-1000 Pro was gonna go for the PB 1000 pro but i just dont really have the space for it sadly although im starting to regret i didnt just make the space. Got a little rushed into the decision on the spot as i was offered deals on either via richer sounds.

Have a few questions if anybody can help but whats with the SVS pricing? I watched a number of you tube videos ok mostly American reviews from 6-12 months ago but every review ive watched lists the SB1000pro at $499 and the PB1000pro at $599.

Standard prices i can find are £639 and £849 so im abit baffled have prices increased in that time or has the UK market always been this price?

Have read that you connect the subs via bluetooth is that recommended? inferior connectivity/performance?

It`s still solid one, although it won´t give you similar impact/feel as the Monoprice/PB1000 route in that open space and especially if you place it nearly middle of room. 399£ vs. 639£ also bit salty, but if you didn´t have space then it is what it is. You wouldn´t need the Pro model.

Also you could have gotten the non Pro SB1000 for 450£. The Pro is better yes, but without discount the price jump is quite tough to swallow. Sure in long run it doesn`t matter much and no regrets later so there is that.

There was price hike 1-2month ago due to shipping cost been raised so much (containers from China). Affects to most brands.

Shame you ordered before asking any discount. Earlier -10% was possible for forum members, not sure what the situation is now for SVS with forum advertisers. Cinehome UK, American Audio UK to name few. I would be suprised if one needs to pay list price.

You will connect it with subwoofer cable to receiver (subwoofer 1 pre out to LFE on SVS) and then download the phone app (read the quick guide). Then you will run Denons Audussey setup. Amazon Basics should do fine if you don´t have cable yet, just pick correct length.
Amazon product ASIN B01D5H8GYG

It`s still solid one, although it won´t give you similar impact/feel as the Monoprice/PB1000 route in that open space and especially if you place it nearly middle of room. 399£ vs. 639£ also bit salty, but if you didn´t have space then it is what it is. You wouldn´t need the Pro model.

Also you could have gotten the non Pro SB1000 for 450£. The Pro is better yes, but without discount the price jump is quite tough to swallow. Sure in long run it doesn`t matter much and no regrets later so there is that.

There was price hike 1-2month ago due to shipping cost been raised so much (containers from China). Affects to most brands.

Shame you ordered before asking any discount. Earlier -10% was possible for forum members, not sure what the situation is now for SVS with forum advertisers. Cinehome UK, American Audio UK to name few. I would be suprised if one needs to pay list price.

You will connect it with subwoofer cable to receiver (subwoofer 1 pre out to LFE on SVS) and then download the phone app (read the quick guide). Then you will run Denons Audussey setup. Amazon Basics should do fine if you don´t have cable yet, just pick correct length.
Amazon product ASIN B01D5H8GYG

Thanks so much for the in depth response and covering absolutely everything i asked and also what i needed to know.

I did actually get a deal on the Sub with richer sound and paid £540 for the SB-1000PRO, which was a decent enough saving i thought but was also offered a cracking deal on the PB.

I got cold feet this morning and regretting passing on the PB and recalled them to change it but its already shipped so i can return and re order. I was gonna live with the Huge oversized sub taking up all my space but no had another rethink it'll be Bloody massive would push my floorstanders too wide stick out too much from the wall be a hazard i'll have to pass on the extra power for convenience sadly but as i've previously mention ive never had a Sub in my setup the sb should bring alot to my setup.

Watching some reviews of it and people just offering general information on a sub ive been such a naïve fool, honesty i thought it was just for the loud bangs and power but they offer so much more, you learn from your mistakes i guess.

New sub and atmos speakers arriving 2mrw also will be amazing but honestly adding the sub will bring a new least of life in my existing speakers and amp.

Thanks so much for the in depth response and covering absolutely everything i asked and also what i needed to know.

I did actually get a deal on the Sub with richer sound and paid £540 for the SB-1000PRO, which was a decent enough saving i thought but was also offered a cracking deal on the PB.

I got cold feet this morning and regretting passing on the PB and recalled them to change it but its already shipped so i can return and re order. I was gonna live with the Huge oversized sub taking up all my space but no had another rethink it'll be Bloody massive would push my floorstanders too wide stick out too much from the wall be a hazard i'll have to pass on the extra power for convenience sadly but as i've previously mention ive never had a Sub in my setup the sb should bring alot to my setup.

Watching some reviews of it and people just offering general information on a sub ive been such a naïve fool, honesty i thought it was just for the loud bangs and power but they offer so much more, you learn from your mistakes i guess.

New sub and atmos speakers arriving 2mrw also will be amazing but honestly adding the sub will bring a new least of life in my existing speakers and amp.

Oh that is good to hear, well worth it then and if you can´t live with the big box then it´s all good you know you picked the best. Just remember the placement can make dramatic difference for a subwoofer (like almost night and day) so if it sounds very bass light at the middle then perhaps if wife agrees you can do some changes (left front corner or closer to couch as nearfield). SVS like most subwoofer companies usually recommends front corner first as you get boundary gain so you get the most performance out of it and less chance of nulls in response. If possible i would keep the doors closed which you have there as the room is quite darn open already.

There is only few settings with the SVS app. "For connection to an AV Receiver, set the SB-1000 Pro volume to -10 in the app (on the rear panel, all but the last two lights illuminated). Set the low pass filter to LFE and the phase to 0 degrees, then run auto-set-up on the AV Receiver. Always re-run set-up if you move the subwoofer to another location."

Then you run the Audussey, but i would do 3mic positions first just to check few things and later do the full 8mic placements if you want. Naturally check after setup that speaker size is set Small to all with subwoofer in play and speaker crossovers bump them up if they are set below 80hz. If example surround speakers come back at 100-120hz then leave them be, for front three if they come up 40-60hz then change to 80hz. X2200W doesn´t show us on-screen is the subwoofer gain high enough or not. That´s why 3 mic positions and afterwards it shows the calibration results and there is "subwoofer level". Post that here what you get.

Oh that is good to hear, well worth it then and if you can´t live with the big box then it´s all good you know you picked the best. Just remember the placement can make dramatic difference for a subwoofer (like almost night and day) so if it sounds very bass light at the middle then perhaps if wife agrees you can do some changes (left front corner or closer to couch as nearfield). SVS like most subwoofer companies usually recommends front corner first as you get boundary gain so you get the most performance out of it and less chance of nulls in response. If possible i would keep the doors closed which you have there as the room is quite darn open already.

There is only few settings with the SVS app. "For connection to an AV Receiver, set the SB-1000 Pro volume to -10 in the app (on the rear panel, all but the last two lights illuminated). Set the low pass filter to LFE and the phase to 0 degrees, then run auto-set-up on the AV Receiver. Always re-run set-up if you move the subwoofer to another location."

Then you run the Audussey, but i would do 3mic positions first just to check few things and later do the full 8mic placements if you want. Naturally check after setup that speaker size is set Small to all with subwoofer in play and speaker crossovers bump them up if they are set below 80hz. If example surround speakers come back at 100-120hz then leave them be, for front three if they come up 40-60hz then change to 80hz. X2200W doesn´t show us on-screen is the subwoofer gain high enough or not. That´s why 3 mic positions and afterwards it shows the calibration results and there is "subwoofer level". Post that here what you get.
You make everything sound so simple Gasp :)

But honestly again thanks again for the lengthy reply and breaking it down for me :)

Need all the help i can get im so out of touch. Can you offer adice on this matter please regards bi-amping please.

"Please ignore my dodgy cabling but this has since been rewired :)

But currently i have my floorstanders Bi-amped and need to change to single cabling, correct me if im wrong but am i right in saying i need the brass plate connectors between posts?

These were purchased 12 years ago and i bi-amped them on day one so im struggling to locate them does anybody have any other advice on what else i could do? can i wrap single cabling across them both?

Prob struggle to buy the correct official tannoy connecting plates :(

Only just realised this morning and my new sub and atmos speakers just arrived an waiting for me to finish work :/"

This is a copy and paste and apologise if you seen it elsewhere

Attachments

• IMG_1085.jpg
    IMG_1085.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 85
Morning guys hope to get some input regards my new sub as currently im not impressed and dont seem to be getting much output from it.

Only had time to plug it in and have a play the atmos speakers will be setup this weekend.

I ran audesery setup in three positions which seems fine however i still found the bass output during testing/setup was really low so im going wrong somewhere.

I feel like its something simple like one setting needs to be changed but still confused I've uploaded a ton of pictures to this album and hopefully some body could pin point it?

Set front speakers to small. LPF for LFE to 120hz

Why are all the speaker levels Audessey set the AVR to. 0dB, that looks wrong.

Last edited:
As David says front speakers to small and LPF to 120hz. also subwoofer level adjust needs looking at maybe, with it on what options does it give you.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom