first sub...need advice

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by prvjoker, Feb 5, 2014.

1. prvjoker

prvjoker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    I wanted to get something second hand first before I went for something stupidly expensive to justify the gulf of the purchase but also to experience what crap sounds like.

now someone is flogging me a rel q 100e sub for 150 but I know it's worth less and it's also ancient. However when it was first released it was one of the best subs in its class apparently and drops down pretty darn low according to spec.

I'm tempted to buy at 100 or 75 just to experience this sub before proper investment. But should I even bother ? Maybe I should go straight to a bk gemini for starters. Stats wise the bk doesn't drop as low as the rel but does it matter for a first...test sub

2. Member 639844

Member 639844
    Former Advertiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    Ive given 2 Rel Q100e's away over the last few years. Its an ok sounding sub, but pretty weak this day and age. Id also not read much into the depth spec of the Rel, its has a mode selector that allows you to set deep mode, or a slam mode. In deep mode it doesnt take much for set safe to kick in, and that used to bug the heck out of me. I preferred the sound in deep mode, but ultimately it forced me to listen at pretty conservative levels and thats why it ended up gone in then end. I wouldnt pay more than the 75 your thinking of personally.

3. MemX

MemX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    What is the budget that you are looking to spend on a 'final' subwoofer?

I would skip the intermediate stages and just buy big and buy right straight away - saves wasting money on something you then have to sell on or give away, which means more money for the 'final' purchase.

4. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,093
    To be honest big doesn't start till you get a 12" driver in my books. A decent 12" sub will cost from £400 and up new, so is that within your scope.

Look at BK XXLS400 or Monolith is where decent subs start, SVS SB or PB1000 are approx £425 as an alternative to the BK's.

5. prvjoker

prvjoker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Well final is probably 500 right now.

My room is 3.5m x 3.5m x 2.7m and I have laminate floors on concrete. Neighbours are not an issue but I definitely have an acoustics issue with vibrations/distortion coming frommy current sub which is a yamaha 5.1 piece of crap. At higher volumes it simply cannot cope with what is going on screen. Its all boom and no detail. I want the detail more than anything.

I am leaning towards the gemini as a first sub or xls 200. I don't think I could justify dropping 500 outright without understanding what I am gaining.

Usage will be 30% games. 50% movies. 20% music.

Tia and sorry for the slow reply

6. rb5201

rb5201

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I have been in a similar position in that I needed a new sub to replace my old one. Thought about the bk 200 but went with the 400 in the end. Chances are if I bought the 200 it wouldn't have been long before I wish I had bought the 400. Cheaper to buy the best you will be happy with in the long run.

7. twoeyedbob

twoeyedbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    2 points
    1. Subs are pretty esay to sell,so if you can get the rel for a decent price,your not risking much.
    2.if you want detail as opposed to noise get a sealed sub,less ultimate output ,but more satisfying(imo)

8. prvjoker

prvjoker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Bought an xls 200mk2 df for 200 quid with a year warranty remaining. Good starting buy?

9. Member 639844

Member 639844
    Former Advertiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    Id say a pretty good start, yes :smashin:

10. lokyc

lokyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +429
    Yes, that was my first proper sub too. Its very decent and will match speakers in the £300 range. The 400 and Monolith will offer more depth and slam, but the 200 is adequate for a small room. Need to set it up properly for integration and roll-off.

When you get better, more precise speakers, you can then think about more refined bass which is beyond BK.

11. prvjoker

prvjoker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    now comes the long wait. Typically going to be delivered after the weekend on monday.....grrrrrr lol. Thanks for the insight all.

12. parostroj

parostroj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Happy Valentine's purchase! :smashin: I've had XLS200 for about 7 weeks now in much bigger room (4,4x5,1) and its definitely good first proper SW:thumbsup: I can play movies and music about -10dB maximum as anything more would blow my neighbours out (what wouldn't be a bad thing anyway:devil:)

13. lokyc

lokyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +429
    Do ring them in a few days if you haven't received any news. They are made to order.