1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Sub cable upgrade

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by The_kUrGaN, May 25, 2005.

1. The_kUrGaN

The_kUrGaN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I've got a basic Yamaha amp and Subwoofer but would like to upgrade the rubbish looking cable that came with the Sub, but don't want to pay more than £15-£20. Would I benefit from upgrading the exisiting cable and if so, can anyone recommend an ideal first upgrade Sub cable? :) Cheers

2. paulflowe

paulflowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What length cable do you need between the components? Various DIY brands are pretty cheap by the metre, but you should allocate a spend of £4 - £5 of your budget on phono connectors, rather than using nasty cheap brass or nickel things. I can't vouch for any commercial cables anymore, since I've been making my own for the past 2 years - much better sound & picture IMHO!

Paul. :rolleyes:

3. The_kUrGaN

The_kUrGaN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    2 metres ought to do the trick, but 3 might be safer.

4. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    I currently use 2 of these cables from Tvcables, 1.5m Digital coaxials. £6 each, £12 total. From my amps pre-outs to my subs low level connections :

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/PH404.html

But 3m? you should look at the £13 Profigold 3m jobs here, You will need 2 so cost will be £26. You may wonder why Im suggesting Coaxial digital cables ? Well they can be bought very very cheaply, and they have a requisite amount of shielding built into their construction, and they work brilliantly as long run ICs in that respect. There is also a £4.49 3m cable. As Paul mentions I’d be inclined to DIY but if not then Tvcables make very fine cheap cables for the application.

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/t...prod_group/se=Digital Audio Cables/op=eq.html

If your considering high level speaker cable, go for a single run of Van Damme 4 x 2.55m2 core speaker cable. Very cheap, and all 4 cables required house in one overall sheath. Or 2 CAT5 cables.