1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First stereo upgrade...would it be worth it?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by BenW, Aug 30, 2005.

1. BenW

BenW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I've not really got into proper hifi sound until recently, currently got a sony mini stereo in my bedroom with standard speakers. I'd guess its the last version of this

Now the sound quality it gives is reasonable at low volume but when it gets to higher volumes its stupidy distorted!

Because its reasonable at low volume and how it sounds at high volume i guess the main problem is the speakers, not the amp in it.

So i want to take the first step into upgrading soon. I dont want to spend too much (£250 ish) so what can i do for that?

I was looking at a pair of B&W 601 S3 speakers for £250 in the local hifi store.

Reasonable plan?
    Ben

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    A system is always limited by it's weakest component and if you stick a decent pair of speakers onto your Sony the sound will still be limited by the lofi amp.

If your present system has line outputs I would keep the CD, tuner and other sources and output the sound from them into a new amp and speakers.

3. BenW

BenW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Its all totally integrated. Only sockets on the back are power, coax aerial in, am aerial connection, phono in (used to connect MP3), 2 custom speaker inputs (Can easily be sorted)

I think its an ultra low power amp in it but its got a low ohm rating. Produces decent enough sound at low levels but its the higher levels that lack

So say i spend £250 on speakers i'd still need amp, cd, tuner to get it working on a decent amp. :S

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Afraid so. This is the major disadvantage of systems like yours or the all in one home cinema system as many people would like to be able to upgrade one component at a time.

5. BenW

BenW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thats a bugger!

I just looked at the unit says 55W, both speakers say 6 ohm independance. Unit doesnt have an ohm rating and speakers dont have a wattage rating.

Maybe i should rephrase my question.

If i put some b&w 601 S3 speakers on it would they sound better than my current ones?

6. GW43

GW43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    The distortion you hear when you turn up the volume could be the amp clipping, due to it having a relatively low power output.

As a broad generalisation, speakers are more likely to distort when being driven by amps with low power output than by amps with a high power output, all other things being equal. This is because the amp is unable to deliver the power required to reach the musical peaks, so the top of the wave-form is "clipped" off, DC is delivered to the speaker momentarily, and all hell breaks loose!

So, new speakers may not solve your problem, if the amp continues to struggle to deliver higher volumes of sound.

7. BenW

BenW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    If its a case of needing new amp/cd/tuner as well then i can't really do it financially

Looks like i'll have to leave it for a while

8. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Is your total budget £250

9. BenW

BenW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well i was really hoping that i could just get speakers and saw the b&w at £250 so though id get them if i can!

Im not really sure if i'll do anything about it. Just i got some money and thought about new speakers.

Would rather not get anything than get budget bits at £250 inc

10. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    With some careful searching you could build a decent HiFi system for about £250 which would sound significantly better than your current system.

For example (2nd hand prices)

Nad 3020 - £50
    Mission M71 £60
    Marantz CD52SE £50

As funds allow you could add a DAC or buy a Sonic Impact T-amp (£30) and tweak it (£70). There are plenty of Mission Cyrus amps around or Arcam CD players for small amounts of money

11. BenW

BenW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    No tuner though?

I'm only 16 so im still in full time education, no job. Ive just had a nice reward for my gcse results from my dad, thats why im looking at spending some!

Maybe i'll ask for an amp/cd/tuner at christmas then get some speakers with my own money.

Not sure