1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First steps into the world of PDA's...

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by kelvin, Feb 10, 2005.

1. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Well, i've finally gone and done it - bought myself a PDA that is ;) I opted for the Acer N30 which whilst being a relatively basic model, appears to have everything that I'm ever likely to use :)

First impressions - fantastic! I've played around with most of the "toys" and am pleasantly surprised at how user friendly, and intuitive it is. I've found myself favouring the "letter recogniser" method of text entry which is something i've never got on with in the past, and one feature in particular that I didn't think would benefit me. Bluetooth coupled with my 6230 is brilliant - i've been transferring images/contacts back and forth all day with no trouble. All in all, i'm chuffed to bits :)

As with all these things thgouh, I haven't quite figured everything out yet and there's one thing in particular that's bugging me. Internet/Email access - how do I do it!?! :rolleyes:

I have a working GPRS connection on the phone, and as has been mentioned, I've managed to "pair" the two devices together via bluetooth but no matter what I do, I don't seem to be able to access the internet :( I have had the phone showing "creating GPRS connection" but once that's out the way - nothing. I load up internet explorer and it just doesn't seem to do anything :( The only way I can access the internet on the PDA at present is via Active Sync on the PC which to be honest, is next to useless! :laugh:

Can anyone give me some instructions on how to get a *working* internet connection between the N30 and my 6230?! Please :D

Thanks in advance,

K.

2. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If you are on orange, you can download the settings straight to your PDA. Otherwise go via settings/connections and set up a dial up account and number which you normally use.

3. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks for your reply.

I have tried setting up a dial up account and on the whole, it works well (although my phone does seem to sometimes drop the bluetooth conection for no apparent reason :confused: ). What i'm really trying to do though, is make use of the phone's GPRS capabilities. On this basis, there is clearly no "dial up" number that I can enter (if you see what I mean?)

K.

4. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi,
    I have the 6230 and an IPAQ 4150 and can do what you want to....
    I don't know how your Acer N30 operates, but when I set up my IPAQ for this, I used
    *99#
    as the dialup number when using the Bluetooth Connection Wizard.
    I pretty sure that was all I had to do - but it was a while ago now and I can't fully remember :zonked:
    - maybe give it a go and let us know....??
    HTH.

5. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks shoehorn - I have managed to get the PDA to "dial" the GPRS connection on the phone (get "Creating GPRS conection" on my screen), but once it's connected, I get nothing in pocke IE :confused:

K.

6. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
  7. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: