1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Step

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mark67, Oct 22, 2003.

1. mark67

mark67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently got myself a Tagmclaren AV32 processor and I now think it's time to leap onto the digital recording wagon.

At the moment I have got a Panasonoic SVHS video. I would mainly be recording of the TV (sky when I get it turned back on), but obviously will be buying DVD as fund allow.

So what do I need to look for in a Recordable DVD player? The Tag has MPEG,THX,DTS and DD. Does this have anything to with a DVD machine?

To the point: I can go to £500, Needs to record of TV, Would like it to play CD-R, CD-RW. Best possible Sound and Picture (at the £500 mark).

Can you point me in the right direction?

Cheers.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    What do you want to do with your digital recordings? I only ask because it will influence what advice people give you. For example:

Do you want a device solely for Timeshifting? If so a HDD solution would probably be the best option.

Do you want to archive VHS, SVHS, Laserdisc to DVD? If so you need a machine with a Timebase corrector, i.e. not a Philips machine.

Do you want to make editted recordings from Sky/Freeview that are playable in other DVD players? In which case a HDD/DVDR combo is the way forward.

Do you want to make archivings from a digital camcorder? If so you would benefit from iLink.

Help us to help you!

3. mark67

mark67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gee this is complected.

Not bothered about archiving VHS.

I would mainly want to record from TV and Sky. Then after i have watched whatever, record over it. Maybe keeping the odd film from TV.
    Also play Pre-recorded DVDs, Play DVDs that my friends have made or Copied and Visa Versa. Play CD-RW and DVD Audio.

I am a bit confused about all the +RW and -Rw.

Not knowing much about DVDs, I cannot say in detail what I would want from one.

Hopefully this brief description is a start.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    Not being funny but have you thought about Sky+? HDD recording is the future not DVDRs. DVDRs are only really going to be for people who want to archive things IMHO. Perhaps you should look at one of the HDD/DVDR combos? These have proven very popular as they act as excellent timeshifters and allow you to archive recordings to DVD-R (editting beforehand if required).

However assuming you do want a DVDR then...

In which case you need to decide if you want a recorder that has RGB in. RGB is (in most people's opinion) the best picture quality available from a Sky digibox. Panasonic, Sony and Philips machines have RGB in. JVC, Toshiba and Pioneer machines don't.

The differences between the two formats in the core sense is somewhat irrelevant. In set-top terms it's the recording format they use that is significant. DVD-RW allows you to record in either Video Mode or VRO Mode. The former plays in most DVD players, the latter doesn't but allows full editting etc. The DVD+RW machines record only in +VR mode which will play in most DVD players but allows little to no editting (depending on what machine you get). A third format, DVD-RAM, is used in Panasonic, JVC, Toshiba and Samsung set-tops and has full editting/timeslip features but little compatibility.

There are two write once formats which play in most DVD players. DVD-RW and DVD-RAM machines use DVD-R (which is the most compatible format), DVD+RW use DVD+R.

Don't worry too much about the DVD format you choose - none are going to disappear in the short medium term so go for the features you want rather than the format.

5. mark67

mark67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't got Sky at the moment, I had it turned off due to a lack of funds.
    So I would only be recording from the TV.

I have been looking on the net at the Sony GX3, would that be the kind of machine that i can record a film watch it then erase it?

I wanted a Recordable DVD to use in the same way as I use my SVHS video, and be able to borrow and lend friends DVDs.

Cheers.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    In which case have a look at the Sony GX3 (as you suggest), Pioneer 3100 or the JVC DMR1. Both machines record to DVD-RW which will play in most DVD players. I would suggest if you don't need RGB in (which you don't if you don't have Sky) then the Pioneer or JVC would make a better choice than the Sony.

7. mark67

mark67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So would the Pioneer or JVC be more ideal than the Sony for day to day recording-erasing and then recording again, much like a Vhs video?

8. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can still get all the bbc channels plus a few others without a viewing card.

The signal my not be as good as it should be but still beats analogue and is broadcast in anamorphic widscreen which is much better for films and football.

Cheers,
    Cal.

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    Well the Pioneer and JVC both allow 'Timeslip', i.e. you can watch a recording whilst it's recording - the Sony doesn't. This, IMHO, makes them better choices as timeshifters than the Sony. The Sony has RGB in though which may be significant if you do opt to resubscribe to Sky (or as Calscott correctly points out use it to watch certain Freeview channels).

The Sony GX3 is reviewed in the current HCC if your interested. A review of the 3100 and JVC is imminent. Failing that there is a thread entitled JVC DMR1 which you might want to read (as it includes some users reactions to it).