1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by SpuddyMcFuddy, Oct 25, 2002.

1. SpuddyMcFuddy

SpuddyMcFuddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,
    I am just setting up my first home cinema system and have a few questions if someone will be kind enough to answer me - thanks.

1. What does bi-wirable mean? Surely you will need one set of wires going into the back of a speaker?

2. What is a bi-polar speaker?

Sorry if these two seem rather lame questions but you learn by asking or by spending a lot of money on the wrong thing. I choose the former!?

Thanks again

2. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    or using the search facility...:D

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Biwireable speakers are where there are two sets of terminals on the back of the speaker. The idea is that there is an improvement in sound quality if the bass and treble signals are sent to the amp seperately - arguable.

Bipolar speakers are used at the rear and put simply have two faces, spreading the sound in different directions at once. Mission M77DS or M7DS are quite popular due to their comparatively flat shape as they can be fitted in places which would not suit direct radiating speakers.