First speaker set

miggins1610

Novice Member
Reaction score
Budget of £300. Like bass so a good subwoofer is key. Small room so nothing fancy needed but If i can get surround sound easily I'd like to. I dont know anything about wiring though which puts me off the Yamaha 8140

You're cross posting now which makes things very difficult for people to help you and keep on track. I've already moved one question to a more appropriate section dealing with soundbars. You will not get a surround sound system which includes a receiver, set of five speakers and a subwoofer for £300. For your budget, new, stick to soundbars especially in a small room.

You're cross posting now which makes things very difficult for people to help you and keep on track. I've already moved one question to a more appropriate section dealing with soundbars. You will not get a surround sound system which includes a receiver, set of five speakers and a subwoofer for £300. For your budget, new, stick to soundbars especially in a small room.

Sorry I'm new to the forum and you're coming across as quite rude. I didnt know I was posting in the wrong. I know absolutely nothing about these things so idk what I can get in the price range. But just to show you wrong, richer sounds does a Yamaha 1840 5.1 kit which is a full surround sound setup for around £270 so it is possible

Actually there is one system for 300£ which could work in small room, but wanting good bass... Good subwoofer alone takes the whole budget. But if not picky then one can get surround sound with these tiny speakers which few members have liked. It goes half price now!

PS. If you are intrested and watch bluray movies and can up budget by 30£ then this Denon would be better. So 330£ receiver + 5.1 speaker sub system.

Sorry I'm new to the forum and you're coming across as quite rude. I didnt know I was posting in the wrong. I know absolutely nothing about these things so idk what I can get in the price range. But just to show you wrong, richer sounds does a Yamaha 1840 5.1 kit which is a full surround sound setup for around £270 so it is possible
It's best for you to try and keep to one part of the Forum for your question. Posting in too many can just confuse the issue for you. It's also discouraged under the Forum rules. Sorry if you think I'm being rude but I can't ignore the rules.

You may have indeed proved me wrong about a complete set up but....
Like bass so a good subwoofer is key.
....that concept will take up your budget and more.

If budget is a concern then build up slowly. Look in the classifieds for speakers, certainly a stereo pair along with a receiver and possibly a sub. A centre and surrounds can come later and although better a centre speaker is not essential, especially as you have a small room as your fronts may not be that far apart.

As @gibbsy suggested, i would build up slowly, getting a bit at a time. If you don't, you might find yourself having to replace parts rather than adding to your setup, which can work out more expensive.

I went with a basic receiver (rxv381), cheapish onkyo cd player and a pair of q acoustic 3020s (left and right) and a 3090c (centre).

This did me for about a year, which I then added a pair of floorstanders (q3050) allowing me to get surround sound, then came a stereo amp in the same year, then a turntable and now recently a sub. So I have built up slowly to get bits I can afford (more importantly, get agreement from the mrs). Next upgrade is to get a better receiver which can do atmos and has better room correction.

So currently I have not replaced anything, only added to my system, and now I will look at upgrading, then I will be adding further kit (hopefully) e.g. atmos speakers.

As @gibbsy suggested, i would build up slowly, getting a bit at a time. If you don't, you might find yourself having to replace parts rather than adding to your setup, which can work out more expensive.

I went with a basic receiver (rxv381), cheapish onkyo cd player and a pair of q acoustic 3020s (left and right) and a 3090c (centre).

This did me for about a year, which I then added a pair of floorstanders (q3050) allowing me to get surround sound, then came a stereo amp in the same year, then a turntable and now recently a sub. So I have built up slowly to get bits I can afford (more importantly, get agreement from the mrs). Next upgrade is to get a better receiver which can do atmos and has better room correction.

So currently I have not replaced anything, only added to my system, and now I will look at upgrading, then I will be adding further kit (hopefully) e.g. atmos speakers.

Excuse me for butting in, but I'm interested that you have opted for 2 amps so quickly? Is the quality of a stereo amp so superior to a receiver?
I had no idea.

Excuse me for butting in, but I'm interested that you have opted for 2 amps so quickly? Is the quality of a stereo amp so superior to a receiver?
I had no idea.
In a word yes. A £500 stereo amp will far outperform a similarly priced receiver for music.

I had no idea.
It was about year and half between amps, but yes, the stereo amp sounds better for music, although it was also more expensive than the AVR.

Hi all,
First post.. :) Thanks for the good advice. I think I'll start with the 3090c and then add the 3020s as my front stereo speakers. I have a 5:1 system (Onkyo TX-NR818) so plan to add the 3010s as the rear speakers, in time. Does this seem like the right approach? Thanks.

Hi all,
First post.. :) Thanks for the good advice. I think I'll start with the 3090c and then add the 3020s as my front stereo speakers. I have a 5:1 system (Onkyo TX-NR818) so plan to add the 3010s as the rear speakers, in time. Does this seem like the right approach? Thanks.
What have you currently got? As its not clear. Do you have stereo speakers already? If you dont I would get the stereo 3020s first then add the 3090c.

What have you currently got? As its not clear. Do you have stereo speakers already? If you dont I would get the stereo 3020s first then add the 3090c.

Thanks THFBs. I have a mish-mash of extremely cheapo speakers.. My front stereo speakers are an old sony set, but my centre is actually a satellite speaker from a cheap 5:1 system I bought for £100 about 15 years ago... Poor, I know.. ;) I feel like I've never really got anywhere near the best from my Onkyo AVR and look forward to building it up to a decent system.. So, in summary, the front stereo speakers are 'OK' but the centre is nowhere near it.. That was my thinking re changing it first.. I might blow the budget and buy both the 3090 and the 3020s, which I can get for £218..

Thanks THFBs. I have a mish-mash of extremely cheapo speakers.. My front stereo speakers are an old sony set, but my centre is actually a satellite speaker from a cheap 5:1 system I bought for £100 about 15 years ago... Poor, I know.. ;) I feel like I've never really got anywhere near the best from my Onkyo AVR and look forward to building it up to a decent system.. So, in summary, the front stereo speakers are 'OK' but the centre is nowhere near it.. That was my thinking re changing it first.. I might blow the budget and buy both the 3090 and the 3020s, which I can get for £218..

That is some good receiver you have there, good old times when Onkyo had Audussey XT32! While it lacks 4K and Atmos it has option for front heights/widths and good amount of power to drive even tougher loads. You could look 2nd hand options too if you want something even better with such tight budget. While the 3000 QAs are known to be great for the price, we are still talking budget speakers and the receiver you have is far from that. But up to you of course!

That is some good receiver you have there, good old times when Onkyo had Audussey XT32! While it lacks 4K and Atmos it has option for front heights/widths and good amount of power to drive even tougher loads. You could look 2nd hand options too if you want something even better with such tight budget. While the 3000 QAs are known to be great for the price, we are still talking budget speakers and the receiver you have is far from that. But up to you of course!

Thanks Gasp3621, can you please advise any second hand options? I don't really have a hard budget as such.. I was of the opinion (having read various threads on here) to build up my system bit by bit, as opposed to trying to buy all at once. Cheers.

If you go the q acoustics route, I would get the 3020s and the 3090C at the same time, as the fronts should always be the same. If not, get the 3020s first for now and just run 2 at the front (rears do not need to match as much).

Have a look on the classifieds on here, some good bargains about, but remember its no good getting a good front pair if you cannot get a matching centre.

As you've got a large amp and you already have a pair of front speakers (model number unknown), you could have a look at something like this warehouse deal on the Emotiva Airmotiv C1 Centre speaker. It's certainly a different kind of centre speaker and more in keeping with the Onkyo's power drive than the Q Acoustics. This would of course mean you have to stay with original Sony's, but following the simple "build your system bit by bit for a better result when budget is tight" will mean that you can upgrade to a pair of front's at some point in the future whilst ensuring you have a good centre speaker

One thing to note that as @TheHighFlyingBirds mentions, you should always try to use the same brand/level of speaker across the front end, but many people including myself do not due to other constraints

Thanks Gasp3621, can you please advise any second hand options? I don't really have a hard budget as such.. I was of the opinion (having read various threads on here) to build up my system bit by bit, as opposed to trying to buy all at once. Cheers.

Sadly no as there is so many to choose from, but your best bet is to start with known manufacturers like KEF, Monitor Audio, B&W, Dali, Tannoy etc. If the aim is to have matching LCR, as pointed out i would only look those that are sold as together as if it`s some older model it can be nightmare to find matching center channel later.

Funny that @ShanePJ mentioned Emotiva C1 center channel cause i see it spoken often in US boards, people even mix this speaker with other brands as the aim is to buy best possible center channel for the budget and this seems to be really good one! There is different opinions regarding the mixing of LCR, but it seems to work for many after level matching and some eq. Being 3-way design is another big plus for a horizontal center channel and the ribbon tweeter has got lot of praise. Definitely intresting option and something that not everyone has in UK! :) Emotiva has of course speakers to partner later:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom