1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

first sighting of Hitachi 42PD5000 and Fujitsu P42HHS

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by continuity, Dec 22, 2003.

1. continuity

continuity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Recently I had a chance to view the new Fujitsu P42HHS and Hitachi 42P5000 panel side by side here in germany.
    Both are ALiS Panels so there having very comparable pictures. In short IMHO the Fujitsu has a slighly better scaler (Faroudja) while the Hitachi provides better blacks, the only weak spot of the Fujitsu. Plus the complete Hitachi package incl. tuner, stand and speakers is around 2000€ cheaper than the Fujitsu without speakers, stand and tuner.
    All in all the the Hitachi is the clear winner and offers the best plasma picture I've ever seen.
    They also had the Pioneer 434 and while I prefer the overall design of the Pio, the PQ is inferior to both Fujistu and Hitachi panel.
    BTW They demoed the panels with two DVDs Matrix and EP2. And I found out the the Matrix DVD is a real plasma benchmark in terms of bad PQ because it has much noise and many scenes with blacks.

2. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Interesting review, funny why so many people are anti ALiS isn't it!! Sometimes it's better to let your own eyes decide rather than theoretical pluses and minuses. I am really pleased with my Hitachi. I too have seen the Pioneer and was immediately impressed with the look of it (really looks lovely) but once I looked more closely at the picture, as with all plasmas you can find faults.

Harvey

3. rauer

rauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Faroudja? Are you sure? Fujitsu's own AVM is pretty good (hear-say) and that's what they're usually using.

4. continuity

continuity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fujitsu uses for the new HHS series Faroudja DCDi scaler. I think its called AVM Plus (as opposed to old AVM).

Regards MH

5. rauer

rauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    That's interesting, continuity! Where did you find the information?

A brief search on this shows that Joe Fernand confirms it and being an expert retailer that's probably the case. Or actually the wording seems to be that this display has the AVM+ _AND_ Faroudja, so perhaps it's not the same.

The Fujitsu websites that I searched do not mention the F word. On the other hand, it's no wonder. After all the boasting about their AVM they begin to use competing technology..

6. continuity

continuity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just take a look at the hardware reviews available at this site.
    Choose Hardware review under AV resources and look for Fujitsu P42HHS reviews.

7. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Quote from the Fujitsu datasheet for the P42HHS, so it looks fujitsu would consider the two technologies to be seperate... Admitidly I haven't got a clue what the actual difference would be...