• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

First Setup Advice Please

GoldenballsAVFC

Established Member
Hi,

First off, apologies, as I really am a bit of a noob when it comes to all this stuff, so I'll try and explain everything as well as I can.

I'm looking to get a decent budget home cinema system. Initially it will be in a spare bedroom, but fairly soon it will be in a small living room.

I've currently got a 32" Panasonic HDTV with 2 HDMI inputs, 360, PS3 and a freeview box. My PS3 & 360 are plugged into my Samsung 5.1 DVD player (samsung HT-DB120) via optical, but there is a slight delay in the sound which I can't seem to get rid of. Also it only has 1 optical in, so I have to switch the cable each time. My freeview box is also plugged into this with the red and white leads.

I've been looking at the Yamaha AV package 63 which is available for around £200, but the only thing putting me off is it can't do sound through HDMI, so I'd be using the optical cables again and may experience the same sound delay problems. http://www.digitaldirect.co.uk/yamaha/av-package-63.html

The other option I've recently come across is the Sony HTSF1200 which I believe can do sound through the HDMI, and can be bought for a little more (£220)
http://www.totaldigital.biz/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2736

The only connections I would need would be two HDMI (PS3 & 360) and a way to connect my freeview box, nothing too spectacular. I don't really want to spend over £250.

Any advice on the above, or alternative options greatly appreciated.

cols

Prominent Member
My advice would be to choose the sony... Ps3 will connect by hdmi and output linear pcm for all audio formats including hd ones, 360 will connect by optical, your dvd player i assume has digital coax or optical out and there are phono inputs for your freeview / tv.

Can't comment on what it's like but after researching it till my head hurt the htsf1200 is the one i'm getting myself, for what it's worth!

You might also want to look at the htddwg800, also around the same price.

cols

Prominent Member
No worries mate, the info there appears to be incorrect, as per the review of that package on this forum owners of the system have confirmed it does take linear pcm over hdmi...

cols

Prominent Member
Well i keep googling and shopping around, superfi have a good offer at the mo (£230), try pricegrabber for comparisons too, they have just the one from total digital, which i think is the same one you found...

The htsf1200 thread on here has some good info in it too. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom