1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First set up

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by scott686868, Dec 16, 2003.

1. scott686868

scott686868

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking for quick replies here as can get my hands on an Mitsubishi SL2 for £754 + vat if i'm quick. Also wondering about the much hyped about Hitachi PJ-TX10. In total, at the very most Mrs Santa Clause is allowing me £1,200 for projector and screen so looking for the best bet with this money. Also, does MDF with suitable paint really work ? sounds strange to me.

Oh, also, also, how easy are these models to focus in, the projector will be approx 3 meters away from screen.

Any help and advice would be great

And wheres the best place to get them, is projectorpoint.co.uk ok? as this is where i have been offered the SL2 also a Sanyo plv-71...........................

2. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    If I were you I would have a look at

www.nexnix.co.uk

or

www.ivojo.co.uk

and look at the prices on offer there.

The Hitachi machine is a recently well reviewed PJ. However, you could probably get the Sanyo Z1 fairly cheap, which would be better value and most probably a better picture due to the higher resolution.

In fact its here @ £934.00 ish inc. VAT.

http://www.shootandshow.com/sanyo-plv-Z1.htm

and a six foot electric screen is £346.00 found here

http://www.nexnix.co.uk/nexnix_projection_screens/nexnix_home_cinema_screens.htm

Thus coming in at £1280.00 which they may negotiate.

Try Ijovo too.

http://www.ivojo.co.uk/sanyo-plv-z1.htm

Z1 £3 cheaper there, screen too -

http://www.ivojo.co.uk/screens.htm

hope this helps,

Captain Benefit:smashin:

3. scott686868

scott686868

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply CPT, yeah, lots of questions lol, may not be a lot of money compared to some home cinema set ups but a **** load for me lol.
    Just looked at the Sony and it seems like the best bet, looks like they may get a sale. Thanks for your reply again, cheers

4. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    people here will try and help as best they can.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Listen, did not mention a sony, just the Sanyo Z1.....

I can vouch for the Z1 as I used to own one. Cracking little 16:9 PJ with loads of flexibility for the home set up.

Any queries, just ask. If I cant answer it, others will.

Cap:smashin:

5. scott686868

scott686868

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    we'll, now you mention it lol.

Was looking to cut costs as much as possible to allow for more dosh for amp ect ect, so would prefer a manual screen. Not bothered about electric one as screen would probably stay down all the time as room is for cinema only. Was looking at option for diy screens but seems a lot of hassle when you can get a half decent one at 200, whats your views on this.
    Also with the model you mentioned is it easy to focus it in to screen size as dont know nothing about that sort of thing.
    Andddd, one more question lol,

where the hell do you get a cable long enough? the way i figure the projector is going to be some distance away from amp/dvd

grrrrrrrr, so many questions lol

Cheers

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends how long you need!

10m component cables are readily available & inexpensive. Similarly, good quality VGA cables up to & beyond 10m & DVI to 7.5m aren't that expensive & easy to source.

No point in having a retractable screen IMO if you can accommodate a fixed screen (dedicated cinema room). A DIY fixed screen is easy to make.

Have a look in the projector FAQ for info & links.

:smoke:

7. scott686868

scott686868

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, i did have a look at that, so say i go into my local drapery shop (whatever you call em) what exactly do i ask for???

8. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    If you want a cheap first screen and don't want the hassle of making a fixed one then just get a blackout blind from IKEA or B&Q or anywhere.

Amazing what you will get for around £40.

Cheers
    Marc

9. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    however, if you can afford it, buy a 'proper' screen. As Kramer suggests not worth accomodating a retractable screen if you intend on keeping it down. For some reason I bought an eletric screen when I set up my cinema room and I really cant understand why I did not buy a fixed screen.....the thought did not even cross my mind, and to be honest I was not sure if they were that available within the UK. What this means is that I ended up spending £200.00 more than I needed to:confused:, although I am more than happy with my screen and it ended up being a god send as my original idea was to use the lens shift on the Z1 which was later updated to the panasonic Ae300 which is sans lens shift - so I simply retracted the screen by about 1 inch.

Still, home cinema is a learning curve.

As for cables, I bought mine from

www.intoav.com

They can build you any cable at any length. How do you intend on connecting your DVD or computer ?

As for focusing a PJ, simpy fire it up, and when you have an image you can either focus it from the ring around the lens or use the remote if it has an electronic zoom and focus. However, you need to make sure that the throw of the projector will be OK with the screen size you intend on buying as well as the PJ within the constraints of the room.

Cap:smashin:

10. scott686868

scott686868

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It will be getting used for 95% dvd and 5% tv, i think i will be going for the Sanyo model PLV-Z1 model, not sure about connections yet, my minds still all messed up with PJ's.

My two options are to try and get a budget screen, was looking at about 140inches diagonal, think this is about right for a throw distance of 5 meters, but would need to be on the cheap side as only got £150-200 for screen at very most.
    Other option, wait till i get PJ, start it up, focus it to the size i want then build a frame and get material.
    Am i right in saying the further away the PJ from screen the less quality you get but bigger picture ??

And thanks for all you help and quick responces, Scott

11. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    No problem.

OK, firstly a good idea would be to get the PJ set up to see what sort of screen you can accomodate within your room. Then sort the screen. DO NOT RUSH BUYING THE SCREEN as you will probably end up regretting it, wishing it was either bigger or smaller.

So are you saying that your room is 5 odd metres. If yes, then you can certainly accomodate a big screen. So the next thing to consider is PJ placement. You can move the PJ backwards to make the picture bigger, as well as zooming in/out. There are differing opinions but generally zero to 1/2 zoom, not focus, will probably give you the best PQ.

Going back to connection method, does your DVD have component video? If yes, use this to connect your DVD as this will give you a great picture. As for connecting the TV not to sure, perhaps someone else can help here.

Cap:)

12. scott686868

scott686868

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We'll, the room (loft) will be about 7 meters long, when it's finished, but the projector can be placed anywhere, i just quoted 5 meters as thought 7 would be too far a throw distance for a budget PJ, was looking for a picture up to 2 meters long.

Oh one more thing, if you make a screen, say 16:9 what happens when you watch normal tv or a film thats 4:3 ??

Just trying to keep you all on your toes lol

13. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    If the room is that long the PJ need not be behind you. You can actually put it on a unit, ceiling mount it or use the lens shift and put it on a coffee table, so getting the right size screen for your room and eyes will be a doddle.

In effect, you have a bit of flexibility to not worry too much about the exact throw.

As for 4:3 on a 16:9 machine, the picture will appear within the middle of the screen with a border on the left and right of the picture. I play a few video games in 4:3 and borders do not bother me/us. Just a shame that more games are not written in 16:9.

PS, 7 metres is a long room. Nice one.

14. scott686868

scott686868

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We'll i've waited long enough for it to get built and it's finally happening. Right, mind made up, getting the Sanyo, just not sure wether to order it off the net for £930.00'ish or order it from Sevenoaks, shop might be better!!!!!

Now i'm going to look at options for building material fro screen, if not, i'll just get a cheap one.
    Once its done ill post all the pics on my family website.....
    www.yvonneandscott.co.uk
    Thanks again for your advice and help, Captain Sir

15. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Scott,

Agree with Kramer, check the links in the Projector FAQ at the top of the page for details about making your own screen - you can get Matt white projector screen material from DRH and stretch it over a wooden frame as explained in the link - frame should cost you about £10 to make, material about £60 (less than £20 if you go for blackout lining material from your local curtain material shop - make sure you get the white variety) - out of a £200 screen budget you'll have about £130 - £170 to move towards your sound system or cables or whatever. If you're having a dedicated room would definitely advise having a fixed screen - the screen surface will be far better than having a pull-down manual screen - no ripples etc.

I have a homemade fixed screen, a year old, not a ripple in sight, best €30 spent.......................

BTW, no excuses about your (or anyone elses) budget......... You shoud be able to put together a combination of stuff that'll keep you amused for ages !!!!

Sean G.

16. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Good point the ritz,

Scott, if you decide to go for a home made screen, your budget may stretch a little further so consider the new Sanyo Z2 which is nearer £1400.00 ish online, but worth the extra if you can stretch it.

That said, the Z1 is a superb introduction to FP.

17. scott686868

scott686868

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry but i cant find projector faq's, do you have a link for DRH please ?

18. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
  19. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I'll give a second thumbs up for the Matt White material from DRH.