First set-up, grateful for any advice

Leumas_10

I'll try to keep this brief. Basically ordered a Pro-ject T1 phono sb turntable and a Denon PMA-600ne amp, with a view to pairing some speakers to suit after. Due to stock issues on the Denon, I've cancelled the amp, kept the turntable. Decided to have a look around at whether the Denon was really what I needed. But after reading 100s of threads here I'm now going round in circles.

Room - two rooms knocked through into one (1900s terrace) main listening area at dining end of room approx 4m x 5m. Looking to locate the kit in/on alcove cupboard unit so have been looking at mainly rather compact bookshelf speakers, B&W 607, Qa 3020, MA bronze 50 etc. It's a less than ideal space for a 'proper' set-up, but hoping to make the best of what I can and achieve a decent enough sound - but equally don't want to pour too much money into equipment that may be wasted in the space.

Sources/amp requirements - the turntable (has a built in phono amp but can be turned on/off). Also Fiio X1 2nd gen portable his res player connected via its line out, and bluetooth would be nice for streaming Amazon music from phones for quick playlists/background listening. A headphone out would be a bonus but not really essential right now. Volume would only ever be at neighbour friendly levels.

The Denon seemed to cover all of that, so should I stick with it? I am also now being drawn towards the more compact, stripped back amps such as the NAD D 3020, Rega IO, Pro-Ject Stereo Box S2, Pro-Ject Maia (can't see much talk about the Pro-Ject amps on these forums) but also still looking at the Denon, and the likes of the Marantz PM6006 etc.

Budget for the amp is quite flexible but the Denon was £350 so I guess I'm looking around that figure ideally, but upto 400/500. Happy to search for good used examples of amps and speakers once I've narrowed down what I'm actually looking for. Fully open to other suggestions of used older kit and advice in general really...Thank you.

That wasn't very brief.

gibbsy

I would say the Marantz pm6006 is a better amp than the Denon, it is a class act. As you've mentioned the Rega io you should perhaps be looking at the Brio, even though it's outside of your budget. The Brio has a really good phono input and would be a more exciting listen than the Marantz and more controlled than the Denon.

muljao

I can say that the marantz is really good at it's price point. I had two (still have one). One was connected to q acoustics 2020i (a previous version of the 3020 I believe) and the other had MA bronze bx2. I preferred the q acoustics even though they are the more budget option, I'd be confident the q acoustics 3020i would be nice here.

Try get your speakers position good, if stands aren't possible at least try get good solid brackets

These ones are good

Amazon product

Leumas_10

I would say the Marantz pm6006 is a better amp than the Denon, it is a class act. As you've mentioned the Rega io you should perhaps be looking at the Brio, even though it's outside of your budget. The Brio has a really good phono input and would be a more exciting listen than the Marantz and more controlled than the Denon.

Thanks for this. I have seen the Brio praised a lot, but probably is more than I want to stretch to right now. The Marantz pm6006 now having looked further doesn't seem to be available from new, assume superseded by 6007. HomeAVdirect have some package deals with the 6007 and the QA 3020i, anybody dealt with them?

Leumas_10

I can say that the marantz is really good at it's price point. I had two (still have one). One was connected to q acoustics 2020i (a previous version of the 3020 I believe) and the other had MA bronze bx2. I preferred the q acoustics even though they are the more budget option, I'd be confident the q acoustics 3020i would be nice here.

Try get your speakers position good, if stands aren't possible at least try get good solid brackets

These ones are good

Amazon product

Good to hear the Q acoustics should be a good match to a Marantz, thanks. I hadn't even considered brackets for the speakers to be honest, I was intending to sit them on the main cupboard top or the shelf above, whichever suited listening position the best really. Is the intention of brackets to separate the speakers from the other equipment?

gibbsy

Brackets will isolate the speakers better. A shelf or a cupboard needs to be really sturdy so that there is no vibration. You can use isolation feet or pads. I have large speakers set on top of TV cabinet using isolation feet. So it depends on how good those cupboards or shelfs are, thicker the better.

I use the B-tech wall mounts for my surround speakers in my main system. They are very good indeed and can be angled downwards slightly as well. You really want to keep the speakers at a seated head height or just slightly above.

Leumas_10

The unit is built into the alcove so pretty solid. But I'll take that onboard thanks and also look into isolation pads.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Hisense A7G, Zidoo Z1000 & Kudos Cardea C10 Reviews + Movie News and Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom