• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

First Serious Outing with 50D - Wild Bird Shots

jmbrailsford

Hi,

out in the back garden this morning in Sub Zero temperatures to have a serious go with my 50D and 400mm F5.6L ( both bought S/H last week ). Not a great deal of light, but it was the kind of light I prefer for this kind of shooting, muted but nice and even and no shadows to worry about, however I had to switch between 400, 640 and 800 ISO, with shutters speeds varying between 1/50th and 1/250th at best. I was also surprised to see a Goldcrest at the feeders, at one point it was right up at the fat ball feeder at the living room window but alas no shots of it :(

Maybe next time :smashin:

Poser
458349105_GGHvo-XL.jpg

Canon 50D - Canon 400mm F5.6L - ISO 400 1/100th @F5.6

Winter Robin
458349209_oJvjs-L.jpg

Canon 50D - Canon 400mm F5.6L - ISO 400 1/160th @F5.6

Little DOF Dunnock
458348916_i4rik-L.jpg

Canon 50D - Canon 400mm F5.6L - ISO 400 1/50th @F5.6

Cock Pheasant ( too close to get him all in ;) )
458351593_S7Xox-L.jpg

Canon 50D - Canon 400mm F5.6L - ISO 400 1/80th @F5.6

Thanks for looking,

Mike.

jmbrailsford

Excellent results, I really like the Dunnock shot.
Is that an IS lens?

Hi Dave,

thanks, I liked the eye on the Dunnock and it always amazes me how the Dunnock looks so colourful yet is basically brown and grey, in answer to your question, no it's the Cannon 400mm F5.6L prime lens that I picked up S/H last week. It seems to do the job :smashin:

Mike.

johnaalex

Distinguished Member
Great set, the first one is a stunner. :thumbsup:

Pity about the Pheasant, being too close is a rare problem for bird shots :D

dazza74

Distinguished Member
Great stuff Mike, seems to me having the 15 megapixels at your disposal always give you a slight more detail as well as the lens. I like them all but I think the "Dunnock" for me overall, it was a close run thing with me between that and "Poser" but the motion blur on the tail in the "Dunnock" pic makes it a more interesting composition for me.

SAuchterlonie

Some good looking birds there fella! ;-) Love No.2 and the colours in No.4 are just fantastic, shame the tail is cut off :-(

Simon

onefivenine

Hi Dave,

thanks, I liked the eye on the Dunnock and it always amazes me how the Dunnock looks so colourful yet is basically brown and grey, in answer to your question, no it's the Cannon 400mm F5.6L prime lens that I picked up S/H last week. It seems to do the job :smashin:

Mike.

Certainly is doing the job!

Were you using a tripod/monopod then? Surely not handholding at those shutter speeds!

jmbrailsford

Certainly is doing the job!

Were you using a tripod/monopod then? Surely not handholding at those shutter speeds!
Hi Dave,

they were taken from my Manfrotto 055 Tripod and Manfrotto 393 longs lens support, basically a poor man's Wimberley mount, but just as good at a 1/4 the price, a Scotsmans dream :D

Here it is....

288756229_kPM9T-M.jpg

Mike.

lightpainter

Great captures Mike, have you replaced your 500 then, I thought you already had a 400!?

jmbrailsford

Nice bit of kit, and gets great results. Looks like it could hold a telecope easily! :)

Hi Dave,

works great and actually allows a bit more vertical movement than the Wimberley, telescope would be no problem I would think.

Great captures Mike, have you replaced your 500 then, I thought you already had a 400!?

Hi,

thanks, it was a Sigma 500mm F4.5 EX HSM prime that I owned :smashin: Missing it already, but I decided to sell to fund something else and then Canon put the bloomin' prices up :mad:

The 400mm will do in the meantime though.

Mike.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom