first satellite system , advice needed.

got a guy coming Saturday to install my first satellite system , its a motorised system with a technomate tm800 hd receiver.

anyway the guy asked me what satellites i want , he said the usual and i said yes but have no idea what the usual are.
i know i should have asked .
anyway what satellites should i get ? so i can at least not look stupid when he comes.

and what free to air gems are out there in terms of must have channels

any good free to air HD channels

am in Swansea , south Wales so apparently its a good position .

all help appreciated
am completely new to the whole satellite thing . its going to be my new hobby.
thanks daniel

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
He should have asked you that before deciding the size of dish to supply really... :D Tell him to install the dish to see as much as the sky as possible and that you want 26E and 7E, the other more popular sats are easy to get and will fall into place. You may also wish to research the TM800 a bit more, it has a rather poor reputation...

He should have asked you that before deciding the size of dish to supply really... :D Tell him to install the dish to see as much as the sky as possible and that you want 26E and 7E, the other more popular sats are easy to get and will fall into place. You may also wish to research the TM800 a bit more, it has a rather poor reputation...
in what respect is the tm800 a bad reciever ? ?
and the dish is 97cm.
thanks for reply

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
It has had next to no software support from Technomate and limited support from third parties, which kinda defeats the object of getting an open linux receiver. Google for forums with dedicated Technomate sections to find users experiences. Get yourself a Dreambox clone, VU+ or Xtrend.

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member
and the dish is 97cm.
thanks for reply
what make of dish is it & motor & lnb.. & coax - is it a well nown company ..

[a tm5402hd is a pretty good choice]

on that size there 7w/26e/4w reception with margin on 26e are a measure of a good install there - there's far more on ab7 7.3w now for free movies etc.. & another measure is the survey & size of the final arc ..- most installs we do include ..

east side
[62e** 60e** 57e] 53e 52.5e .....45e 42e [40e xx] 39e 36e 33e 28.2/5e 26e 23.5e 21.6e 19.2e 15.8[or16e] 13e 10e 9e 7e 4.8e 4e 3e 2e

west side
0.8w/1w 4w 5w 7w 8w 11w 12.5w 15w 18w** 22w 24.5w 27.5w 30w 34.5w 37.5w 43w** 45w .... [58w**]

beyond 30w there are only 1 or 2 channels & some feeds- those marked ** may not have an active channel [] depends on a clear view...

next it's how well it stands up to strong winds, especially if it goes over the roof.

All installs/ locations are different so it depends on how well someone can deliver regardless.

Last edited:

logiciel

what satellites i want....have no idea what the usual are.
and what free to air gems are out there in terms of must have channels
any good free to air HD channels
am in Swansea , south Wales so apparently its a good position l
Hi Daniel.
It seems odd to start with installing the system before you know what you want it to do!
The first step could have been to look through all the satellites and all their channels to find out what - if anything - was worth seeing.
Here's one of the places to find out what they all are: LyngSat.
Everyone has different likes and dislikes so it's up to you what channels - if any - you will think of as gems.
Again, what is good depends on what you like - and what languages you speak!
I have access to quite a lot of channels - though on fixed dishes - including HD ones, but absolutely none could be regarded as "gems" and my small knowledge of German and French is necessary to make much use of any of them.
Your location makes no difference to what you'll receive, and I'd be interested to know what made the installer think otherwise.
Although I have that access I guess 95% of my limited amount of viewing time is spent on the UK channels, but there are some people here who make scanning Europe and the Middle East into a hobby, so this is not meant to make even the feeblest of attempts to put you off the idea. :)

Last edited:

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member
I thought you were on the verge of going motorised logi...... [he might think you have a motorised from that post ]...

logiciel

Yes, the odds are getting shorter on it;) - and thanks for that, which I've now clarified.:thumbsup:

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member
Reception for different satellites varies around the UK- Nilesat/ 7w has a reputation of beng a % better in south Wales than north Wales or N England .. as has 26e but others such as a very few North Europe beams may be lower to the west & south & higher in the east & north east. What you can receive can also be affected by local conditions - rf/em noise from a busy city can reduce reception on weak satellites- rural locations improve reception.

Not knowing so much before hand is OK so long as you get a decent system [with our help] - the whole point is once you have a decent motorised ....you can use it for so many different interests - we install loads of motorised satellite & it is something that has a universal high feedback... people really love them- except some wives have issues with dish sizes... until they see what it can do ..then you can't get the remote off them..:laugh:

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
I have access to quite a lot of channels - though on fixed dishes - including HD ones, but absolutely none could be regarded as "gems" and my small knowledge of German and French is necessary to make much use of any of them.
You have 13E and 19.2E right? There are plenty of gems and lots of english content available on those two, your not using the full potential of your receiver. :D

pedro2000uk said:
Reception for different satellites varies around the UK- Nilesat/ 7w has a reputation of beng a % better in south Wales than north Wales or N England .. as has 26e but others such as a very few North Europe beams may be lower to the west & south & higher in the east & north east. What you can receive can also be affected by local conditions - rf/em noise from a busy city can reduce reception on weak satellites- rural locations improve reception.

Not knowing so much before hand is OK so long as you get a decent system [with our help] - the whole point is once you have a decent motorised ....you can use it for so many different interests - we install loads of motorised satellite & it is something that has a universal high feedback... people really love them- except some wives have issues with dish sizes... until they see what it can do ..then you can't get the remote off them..:laugh:
Thanks for your very informative post, it is the same as what my installer said regarding being in a good location, you seem very knowledgeable on this subject, looks like some bad advice has been posted previously,

logiciel

kevkbuk: As I said it depends on what the individual thinks of as gems. I do have those two satellites and though a few European channels interest me I don't consider them gems, and I'm only referring to free channels.

My comment "your location makes no difference to what you'll receive" has to be modified for factors such as dish size and strength of transmission. In general though I don't consider it bad advice, and I don't think the installer was really saying anything very helpful by the broad claim that South Wales is a specifically good location.

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member
...I don't think the installer was really saying anything very helpful by the broad claim that South Wales is a specifically good location.

It says to me he knows that so he might know his stuff hopefully & hasn't just read it somewhere.

logiciel

It might not have been him who gave the idea that "Swansea, south Wales so apparently its a good position".
As you said and implied, there are a lot more factors than the post code to take into consideration.;)

don't see why all the arguing is neccesary ,
it was implied "it makes no difference " where in the country you are .
when clearly it does .

logiciel

No arguing at all is happening, just friendly exchanges.
I didn't just imply that it makes no difference, I said so, but then I said "my comment "your location makes no difference to what you'll receive" has to be modified for factors such as dish size and strength of transmission".
There are some instances in which the location, the post code, does make a difference, and there are others where it makes none at all.
I wouldn't expect my TV reception to improve if I moved from South Yorkshire to South Wales.

Last edited:

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
Perhaps Swansea is considered a good place for multi-satellite reception because it is on a south facing coast.

Don't tell Mrs TG, but one of the reasons for moving here, a few hundred yards from the clifftop, is so my dish can see right down to the horizon over the English Channel.

Just a thought... :)

logiciel

Correct, and the same would apply here where the view south takes us over the river estuary and then over land that's partly below sea level!
For most satellites though, including those that I use, a modest angle to the dish will give unobstructed "sight" of them from anywhere in the country.
That's what I was getting at when I said the location makes no difference.
Many other factors do make a difference, in and between most locations.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Perhaps Swansea is considered a good place for multi-satellite reception because it is on a south facing coast.

Don't tell Mrs TG, but one of the reasons for moving here, a few hundred yards from the clifftop, is so my dish can see right down to the horizon over the English Channel.

Just a thought... :)
Top of Snowdon ought to be pretty good. :D

logiciel

Yes, that one kilometre gets you so much closer to the satellites that are 36,000 kilometres above the equator.

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member
Yes, that one kilometre gets you so much closer to the satellites that are 36,000 kilometres above the equator.
that's not for better reception signal strength wise - it's for deeper reception east & west ... the higher above sea level you are the deeper east & west satellites your dish can see, nearer the equator you are helps this too.

I think that & the fact it is further south than most of the UK plus many reports were from or looking over less built up areas than say Manchester/ Midlands etc..

But it has been in the past mostly about 7w Nilesat 101/102 reception - especially when Showsports had the epl rights- you could get the lot 24/7 on a 1.8m & a 1.2m could do the 3pms glitch free >> in S Wales , where a 2.4m was needed in Cheshire/ N.Staffs just for 3pm glitch free [& a blank screen between 11am & 2:30pm]... & 3m/ 3.2m/ 3.4m/ 3.6m was needed for the 3pms in & up through Manchester & north of Manchester there just wasn't many reports of reception.

Satellite or motorised satellite is often a lot to do with the weaker satellites & they are usually the ones that do have the free 'gems' ..

logiciel

All agreed, for people who want the weaker satellites, not for Mr Averages with the choice of 13 and 19E.:)

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member
All agreed, for people who want the weaker satellites, not for Mr Averages with the choice of 13 and 19E.:)
it's not like that now - 13e/19e was popular years ago - most of our customers today [& me!] want every last drop out of a motorised system & the best free channels are mostly on the weaker satellites otherwise I'd defintely do more smaller dishes- small motorised are pretty good anyway- it's just a shame you need the 80-90cm+ for just 3 or 4 sats.

if someone uses subsciption channels then it is less important though - with most football subs you get movies etc.. anyway... but I know enough pubs & home installs etc.. we've installed just for football also use the free movie channels etc...

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

Anthem launches latest AV receivers, processors and amplifiers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Naim and Focal discount premium music systems
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton