1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First review score for HL2

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by othello, Sep 30, 2004.

1. othello

othello
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone think that this will be another driv3r scenario?
    what i mean is a great review, crappy game?
    doom3 wasnt all that good was it? to be fair im not up to speed on hl2, but a few of the big name games recently have failed to deliver.

3. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,365
    PC Gamer are usually pretty reliable. They did give Doom III a good score (90% IIRC), but it deserved that IMHO. It did have the caveat of spawning monsters and repetitive gameplay, but still a worthy purchase. I enjoyed it, anyway. I don't think Half Life 2 will have either of those problems, sounds like its a much deeper gameplay experience.

Who gave Driv3r a good review? Not in any mag I read...

4. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Ill eat my f :censored: hat if HL2 doesnt live up to expectations!This sucker is gonna be the biggest game release ever,and IMO theres no way its gonna dissapoint.

I honestly think that this game might actually expand the gaming community,in that its gonna be so successful that non gamers are gonne be so intrigued by all the hype that they are gonna wanna have a crack themselves and then the floodgates will open!Films will no longer be the first love,it will be the games that will be the main big buck bringer :smashin:

5. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    my feeling is that HL2 will rock .... if only eventually (as it's taking forever to be released)

what's really nice is that the package will include a remake of HL1 with the new SOURCE engine - nice!

oh - and worth a mention "Counter Stike:Source" - CS was the biggest multiplayer game ever (i've spent so many hours playing it online & even more lan sessions!) - the new version has the potential to twice as fun!

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    This is going to be awesome.
    Then Halo2 about a month after , thank goodness I've got plenty of holiday time left!

7. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its good to see so much hope!
    ive got high hopes for it being great, just wondered if anyone else was just a bit concerned after all the releases this year not being the smash hit it was meant to be.

driv3r was rated pretty highly iirc in a few of the xbox mags just before release. one even reviewed it again i think.

8. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    i expect it'll be good, but "exclusive" reviews are always BS. How did they get the exclusive? By promising the game a good review of course!

9. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Driver 3 took so long to come out that by the time it did, the technology and graphics were dated.

HL2 MIGHT suffer from some of the same.
    I mean after seeing a lot of the effects and graphics in Doom3, HL2's shaddows wont be as impressive.

Im sure a lot of people will say that in some ways Doom looks better, or even make comparisons with something like the Unreal engine 3.

10. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,365
    Always the problem -any promising game gets overhyped, and will never live up to everyone's expectations. Just be realistic about it - I'm sure the game will turn out to be a good way to spend 20 or so hours, whether the shadows turn out to be as good as Doom 3 or not. You make a good point AML that people say the stupidest things when a title gets released that disappoints because it doesn't make toast for them, or improve their sex life.

11. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I think I remember mags backpedalling by saying that something must have changed right before the game was released, as the pre-release version was much better than what hit the shelves. :rolleyes:

As games become bigger business, magazine reviews will become less reliable.

12. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Something Im not looking forward to. Finishing HL2!!!

Its going to be one major downer!!! :suicide:

I mean what do we have to look forward AFTER HL2? :rolleyes:

13. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    I think too much store has been placed on the graphics of late - as long as they are adequate to create a reasonable backdrop and emersive enviroment to the actual 'game play' .... which is the real important thing.

Doom 3 looked nice but was tedious in game play...... when HL came out, it had reasonable environments and action .... but it was loved so much for the fact that it had depth of story and what felt like a real purpose to the actions you were taking.
    At that that time this was a ground breaking thing for a 'shooter' and hence its popularity and massive scores in reviews.

If all people want are flashing graphics then they aren't 'gamers' - I want a game to look nice .... but thats a long way behind that game play - the thing that hooks me for the 16hr gaming sessions ;)

Hopefully HL2 will be what HL was - something more than the ordinary and not just a replication of what else what out there.

14. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    i'm still patiently waiting for stalker... they've already had to rewrite the graphics engine once because they took so long releasing it that direct x9.0 came out, and it was written for dx8.1

15. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I totaly agree that graphics arent all that important. As long as they dont hurt my eyes then im happy.

But having said that, the first time I played say HL, I thought the graphics were amazing. Now, they hurt my eyes !:zonked:

Lets be honest, graphics is why many of us buy new graphics cards, upgrade our PCs and well, have PCs all together.

If you didnt care about the graphics, then why dont you sell your PC and buy a SNES!!!
    The snes has "adequate" graphics and some snes games have some of the best gameplay arround!

Is that laughter I hear? I wonder why?

What was amazing to us once upon a time now seems funny. How many of u have played old SNES games through a PC emulator and had a few laughs?

I certainly have. No matter how amazing the gameplay is, it gets hard to enjoy something you now consider a joke.

Having said all this, I do agree that graphics are over emphasized. HL2 will surprise us in more than 1 way.

But still, where did all the gasps and wonderment come from when we all saw HL2 for the first time? It came because of the graphics, not the gameplay. No body has played HL2 yet right?, so nobody knows the gameplay!

16. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Hehe, I still play many SNES games through Emu, which is awesome as I have gotten to play all the JAP and US games I never had access to.

I don't laugh at SNES graphics I still think they look awesome in their own way and in some cases the 2D art still looks good.

On topic I am really looking forward to HL2 and hope it doesn't force me to upgrade :)

17. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I regularly fire up a few classic NES games, and I find them just as good as I did when I first played them. That's not to say I don't enjoy seeing graphical advances in games, but if the gameplay is there, it isn't all that important to me.

18. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought the same thing after I finished Half-Live... then I discovered Day of Defeat. :D

19. VintageMark

VintageMark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont know if this is old news...

But Steam is doing more 'pre loading' on my PC...

Hasnt done that for a couple of weeks now I think...

This is the 4th download if memory serves right (which it often doesnt)..

So perhaps we are almost at release...

I have PC Gamer maagzine review (arrived this morning)...

And they LOVE it... the gameplay is supposed to be fantastic... and the physics incredible...

Here's hoping...

20. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    Hearing 26th November official release date but haven't had a chance to corroborate this online. This puts it two weeks after Halo2 which is sounding at least as impressive from those who've had their hands on it.

Early Christmas this year!

21. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I think in the end its going to be a Xmas release.

If anything slows it down its going to be the court case with vivendi. That could slow it down by as much as 6months.

As long as that doesnt happen theres no reason why we cant get it in November or December.

22. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Quake IV :clap: