• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

First review of Paramount HD-DVD release

Avi

Distinguished Member
This is the first review of the Paramount titles I've seen. Sorry if it's already been posted.

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/sahara.html

Quote:
"'Sahara' is a silly film but a great deal of fun. Light in tone and filled with 'Indiana Jones'-esque derring do, it is the perfect Sunday afternoon time waster. And Paramount has produced a terrific HD DVD for it, which shows that the studio is already capable of delivering first-rate discs right out of the gate. A superb transfer, soundtrack and extras -- including a few bonus features not even on the standard DVD release -- make this one a no-brainer if you're a fan of the film."

AVI

rover2002

Amazon package arrived yesterday with TR/Sahara & SC.We watched TR last night.OK the story and acting are a bit lame but the picture was good and sharp although alittle inconsistant at times, but hey its Angelina Raider:D
On a side note, the first game i played on a PS2 was Tomb Raider, and i was hooked! the advantage i had while being in Hong Kong at that time was mass piracy and games costing less than a pound a disc, not that i bought eny:D
Say no to piracy:smashin:

I watched the HD DVD of Tomb Raider and it's probably the least impressive I've seen to date.

It may just be the film stock or lenses being not entirely detailed, but all the time I just kept thinking that it looked more like 720p than 1080p downscaled...

pj

i had a look through sleepy hollow, we were soldiers and sahara imho they are all great sleepy hollow looks fantastic its exactly how it should be dark and brooding i know the hd reviews havent been kind but it think it really shines the detail is great and the muted grainy colours serve it well the sound is top notch too, its not a disc with much colour to it but it is how the director intended it to be and the hd version is worth every penny
soldiers is another slightly muted pallette but the detail is outstanding the soundtrack is crisper than the sd disc a new reference disc maybe on the cards here!
sahara is v.high on the pq/sq lists too and it should be for such a recent movie! if anything this just lacks a little from the cinematography and the scenes that were shot on overcast days! other than that another top notch HD presentation u also get a little paramount HD trailer and from the looks of it MI3 is gonna be the new benchmark in hd-dvd the shot where he gets knocked into the white car is outstanding its like the car is in the living room! (ok so maybe not that 3d)

rover2002

Lyris said:
I watched the HD DVD of Tomb Raider and it's probably the least impressive I've seen to date.

Its not in the same group as 'Unforgiven' thats for sure:)
Will.

rover2002

pj said:
i had a look through sleepy hollow, we were soldiers and sahara imho they are all great sleepy hollow looks fantastic its exactly how it should be dark and brooding i know the hd reviews havent been kind but it think it really shines the detail is great and the muted grainy colours serve it well the sound is top notch too, its not a disc with much colour to it but it is how the director intended it to be and the hd version is worth every penny
soldiers is another slightly muted pallette but the detail is outstanding the soundtrack is crisper than the sd disc a new reference disc maybe on the cards here!
I bought this on DVD after its release and thought it was an enjoyable Gibson flick.Its got a few good reviews on the PQ side so i might give it a whirl:)
Will.

rover2002

Nic Rhodes said:
I watched unforgiven last night and enjoy this disc :)
Its one of the best Nick, great story, great acting and boy does the picture look yummy and sharp.
Will.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom