First proper "next-gen" game?

rcaudwell

Established Member
Reaction score
Everything about the gameplay on this game seems that bit better than anything else. Doesn`t have the best graphics around (although they`re still pretty good) but the interaction between characters, the reaction of passers-by when you sometimes try and steal a car and they help the victim etc, the little "touches" that you hardly notice but make all the difference, everything seems more immersive than previous games Ive played. To me that`s what next gen was always about rather than fancy graphics etc, anything else on the 360 come close?

It's ok, I don't know why but im not all that impressed. I can appreciate the little touches but the gameplay just frustrates me. Im finding the controls and the camera akward, the cover system is just crap and the driving is only ok if you manage to get a nice car plus the missions are all a bit samey and im just getting a bit bored of driving backwards and forwards. I cant be arsed with dating or going for a drink etc.. as id rather just get the missions out of the way. I think the first proper next gen game was GOW, then COD4.

I agree that GTA does feel like a total step forward, although I know it's also not perfect. However despite it's minor flaws it is amazing as a whole package.

Other games have had that next-gen feel for me too though... Gears of War being the obvious one. BioShock and Mass Effect have also had next-gen shine to them. To a certain extent even Skate, as for me that totally raised the bar for skateboarding games and there's no way it would have been possible on any last gen consoles.

To be honest there's a quite a lot of games I can think of that I would consider next-gen... even though it's really this-gen now.

I'm in total disagreement with this post and I guess it can only come down to the definition of 'next gen'.

For me next gen is purely a technical thing. Gameplay is irrelavent as the same games have been on the PS2 and XBox before. It can only come down to visuals and dynamics and for me this game is not even close to next gen. Technically it is VERY poor indeed. It suffers hideous slowdown and framrate issues, it has shocking tearing, visuals are blurred, the dreaded fog is evident, it is pop up tastic and there are jaggies like I have never seen in a 360 game. On top of this the physics and handling are almost cartoon like and about as far removed from 'reality' as its possible to get (this could be intentional though).

Technically I wouldnt put this title in my top 20 of XBox 360 titles so as far as I'm concerned it is a million miles away from next gen. Nothing in this game has not been done before on the PS2 or XBox. Im not suggesting that the PS2 or XBox could run this game because they couldnt, but neither can the 360 or PS3.

Nothing in this game has not been done before on the PS2 or XBox.

:rotfl: Slight hyperbole there mate. The level of detail over such a vast area in this game eclipses any other console game.

As for all the technical issues you've been describing, I've put in about 15 hours to the SP now, and have rarely come across any of these problems, certainly not enough to impede my enjoyment of the game in any way.

On topic: I would be inclined to agree with D@Z that the oft-used but little-understood phrase "next-gen" is more to do with the technical aspects of the games. Whether or not GTA IV is the first next-gen game or not can be debated all day; however, in my opinion, it is certainly the most enjoyable, immersive game environment I've yet experienced on the 360 - regardless of the (minor) technical problems.

That's fair enough Daz, I can see where you're coming from but to be honest I havent really noticed and slowdown, framerate issues or jaggies on mine... I'm only playing on a 32" HDTV though, via VGA, so maybe it's more apparant on bigger TV or if you're sitting closer to the screen.... or maybe I'm just blinkered by how much fun you can have so I dont see the flaws.

Out of interested what games would you consider next-gen?

Also, at what point does next-gen become this-gen? That's always baffled me when people talk about it.

It suffers hideous slowdown and framrate issues, it has shocking tearing, visuals are blurred, the dreaded fog is evident, it is pop up tastic and there are jaggies like I have never seen in a 360 game.

Have to disagree with your above comment. I haven't experienced any tearing let alone 'shocking tearing'! I have been generally impressed at how well the game runs!

Could be more an issue with your TV because you should not be experiencing tearing! :confused:

Technically it is VERY poor indeed. It suffers hideous slowdown and framrate issues, it has shocking tearing, visuals are blurred, the dreaded fog is evident, it is pop up tastic and there are jaggies like I have never seen in a 360 game.
How come I never notice any of these things? (well, except for the occasional bit of “pop up”). Not very observant I guess. :D

As for the controls, lots of peope have said they have no problem with them at all so I reckon that's a case of personal taste rather than technical issues as such.

I got a LOT of tearing at 1384x768 (it was really really obvious), but at 1080p there was none at all. I've completed the game now (23 hrs) and didn't notice it again.

It was weird, as I expected the lower resolutions to be better, but clearly not.

How come I never notice any of these things? (well, except for the occasional bit of pop up). Not very observant I guess. :D

As for the controls, lots of peope have said they have no problem with them at all so I reckon that's a case of personal taste rather than technical issues as such.
Agree with you . But i am observant. And i have not noticed any tearing. Not seen many jaggies at all, and considering how big the city is thats impressive. No slow down just the odd pop up which i notice now and again . I like the controls, feel more advanced.

And think the game looks gorgeous :)

Edit : as far as next gen is concerned . I think it does set boundaries such as the size of the game and all the small details and how the graphics look is superb, and the change of weather etc. The game is so detailed and well put together i think it is next gen .

I have to agree with the OP, I really think the level of AI in this game means it would be impossible to port to a PS2 or even the Wii, something that I doubt could be said for 99% of 360 games. I don't believe for a second that with scaled down graphics, Gears of War couldn't run on a PS2, there really isn't anything that the game is doing which hasn't already been done on the platform.

I have to agree with the OP, I really think the level of AI in this game means it would be impossible to port to a PS2 or even the Wii, something that I doubt could be said for 99% of 360 games. I don't believe for a second that with scaled down graphics, Gears of War couldn't run on a PS2, there really isn't anything that the game is doing which hasn't already been done on the platform.

Yeah i agree. Its the graphics that other older platforms could not handle.. Still i very good game gow was :) even though a bit over rated imo

I can't see that this game is next gen.. I mean the next gen systems haven't even come out yet so how do you know how it rates among the xbox 720 games and the PS4 ones?

The 360 has been out for years now, if you still think it's 'next generation' that means you still think the first xbox is the current machine of choice..

Sorry to be a smartarse but I can't stand the next gen phrase. How nerdy eh?!

Can you guys please not mention gears in the same sentence as gta, no game comes close to gears in any way, graphics, playability, nothing.

Gears is the best game ever.

Yes I'm a fanboy.

Feel free to flame. :rotfl:

I can't see that this game is next gen.. I mean the next gen systems haven't even come out yet so how do you know how it rates among the xbox 720 games and the PS4 ones?

The 360 has been out for years now, if you still think it's 'next generation' that means you still think the first xbox is the current machine of choice..

Haha, that was kinda my point too... good to see I'm not alone in being an*lly retentive ;)

Sorry but i cant agree with that .

The ps4 next xbox etc is not out, so your saying games that come out on 360 now wont be next gen. I mean when half life 2 came out on pc people were like wow its next gen. Set the standard, and it was. That was on the pc so that would be like saying no its not next gen, because in few years a higher spec pc will come out, so how can this be next gen.

I think in terms of where the gaming industry is right now that this game is next gen.

What exactly is next generation about the current generation?

Am i the only one that thought the gow gfx were poor, i think gta's gfx with possible exception of nighttime look the best the box has had.

It funny how we all see gfx as so different when i could understand gameplay having a far wider range of opinions:confused:

Am i the only one that thought the gow gfx were poor, i think gta's gfx with possible exception of nighttime look the best the box has had.

It funny how we all see gfx as so different when i could understand gameplay having a far wider range of opinions:confused:

Suppose different people like different graphical styles.

People thought bioshock looked good, I thought it was a bit meh.

I don't find this game that big a jump from the previous two GTA games. I still consider Vice City to be the best of the series.

GTA 4 isn't even current 'gen' or however you want to put it. The gameplay is shallow and repetitive! I mean, if controlling the cars isn't poor enough, the movement of your character is very clunky and awkward. I don't know how much times I tried to get Niko to climb up some damn stairs in one of the earlier missions! All because he wouldn't turn properly.

The graphics are horrid aswel, they seem the exact same as San Andreas with a little bit more shine to them. I don't care if they have put more effort into the (poor)gameplay and map area itself, the graphics should be better, I mean its been what, 4 years since San Andreas! In 4 years previous, Rockstar released GTA3, GTA VC and GTA SA, 3 great games and they take this long to make this crap!

The music is also dire to say the least. In previous GTA's they had excellent music, none more so that in Vice City, and now we have to contend with this! I mean don't get me wrong, I like a bit of Queen - One Vision. I can listen to some Bob Marley, but what else is there to listen to?

And please don't get me started on the multiplayer!

All in all a very poor game that has far too much hype, I don't see any changes from other GTA games, other than it's a bit more shiny. I would give this game maybe a 5/6 out of 10 at most, because the story is ok. But as soon as I can i'm taking my copy to trade in.

Can you guys please not mention gears in the same sentence as gta, no game comes close to gears in any way, graphics, playability, nothing.

Gears is the best game ever.

Yes I'm a fanboy.

Feel free to flame. :rotfl:

LOL, people should bow at your feet for being honest and up front regarding your condition. Personally Gears was the game that made me buy a 360, Bioshock, GTA4, GHIII, Rock Band are the games that make me keep playing it (amongst many others).

LOL, people should bow at your feet for being honest and up front regarding your condition. Personally Gears was the game that made me buy a 360, Bioshock, GTA4, GHIII, Rock Band are the games that make me keep playing it (amongst many others).

Who even care about gta when we've got gears.

Stuart should just turn av forums into one big gears of war forum :devil:

Yes I'll grab my coat...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom