• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

First proper attempt at landscape photography

PKW

Standard Member
Hi there,

I hope everyone had a great Easter

I've had a DSLR now for around 10 months, it is the Canon 550D and i'm absolutely loving it.

Whilst on holiday last week I had my first proper attempt at some landscape photography. This, I think, is my best image. I used a polarising filter to bring out the blue in the sky which I think has worked well. As i'm new to this sector of photography I would be really grateful if you could give me some feedback and areas to improve.

Cheers,

Phil

Attachments

• Durham 2011 567.jpg
    Durham 2011 567.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 127

BluChrome

That's a nice composition.

Can you give the EXIF data for the capture? Looks like a wide'ish aperture as it's not sharp front to back.
If you are looking for a sharp landscape you need to be shooting with a high aperture, which may require a tripod with your filter reducing available light.

PKW

Standard Member
That's a nice composition.

Can you give the EXIF data for the capture? Looks like a wide'ish aperture as it's not sharp front to back.
If you are looking for a sharp landscape you need to be shooting with a high aperture, which may require a tripod with your filter reducing available light.

The EXIF data is:

Focal length: 20mm
Exposure: 1/125
Aperture: 5.63
F number: f7.1
ISO: 100

Perhaps I got the aperture settings slightly wrong?

f6cvalkyrie

Hi Phil,

the image has a lot of good caracteristics : composition, colour, exposure, use of pol-filter, all goes well.

What I regret is the focus. The tree (it's the main subject, isn't it ?) is not in critical sharp focus. Focus seems to be quite a bit behind the tree.
You could either stay with 5.6 aperture and focus on the tree (you'll get the background a bit more OOF) or change the aperture to 11 or so, to get more DOF and make the tree look sharp.

Just my 0.01 Eurocent, Phil :laugh:

C U,
Rafael

Killwilly

With a polarizing filter on that lens and camera you would have probably been better using f11, or even higher. I like the composition, well done.:thumbsup:

PKW

Standard Member
It's a bit weird really because this photo on my laptop is actually really sharp, I have it as my desktop background, it's really sharp there, but it seems as i've uploaded this image I may have decreased quality to ensure it can be uploaded.

I've uploaded it again below with higher quality settings when downsizing image size, hopefully it will show the sharpness.

Cheers

Attachments

• Durham 2011 567-2.JPG
    Durham 2011 567-2.JPG
    187.9 KB · Views: 72

BluChrome

The EXIF data is:

Focal length: 20mm
Exposure: 1/125
Aperture: 5.63
F number: f7.1
ISO: 100

Perhaps I got the aperture settings slightly wrong?

I wouldn't say wrong, I don't thing there is a wrong in these things! It's still a beautiful shot. Just might have benefited from a smaller apperture, f11+ and focus somewhere in the middle ground.

Nice one! :thumbsup:

Strobe

It's a nicely composed shot. I think you can get over-critical on sharpness - it doesn't look particularly soft to me. Having said that, with landscape you do usually want to get as much of the scene in focus as possible which usually means smaller apertures - as a general rule, I don't shoot below F11. With wider focal lengths, if you shoot with a small aperture, F11-F13, focus a third of the way in to the scene, then more often than not, most (if not all) of the scene will be sharp.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom